My School is STUPID

Actually if you are on a domain with that utilizes roaming profiles I would consider it a good move. With vista they made the profiles incompatible with XP and 2000 so you have to set up folder redirection (which still doesn't work all that well for me at least). It keeps one more element of complexity out of their group policy that they don't want to deal with it and I couldn't blame them.

See if the Vista product code stickers are still on the side of the computers. If they're not using them, sell the codes on here for $5 each :p I'd buy one.

the school usually puts XP because their Server computer usually is an XP OS.

I think they said they wanted to make everything the same, because all the computers throughout the rest of the district use XP.

I looked in the boxes and there were like 5 discs, one of them being XP Pro with SP2 and the other being Vista Business SP1.

They don't make an image with everything on it, they just install XP on it and manually do everything...I think. I looked at C:\ and there was a folder called 'ginstall' which is something by Microsoft that has settings and drivers that install itself...

See if the Vista product code stickers are still on the side of the computers. If they're not using them, sell the codes on here for $5 each :p I'd buy one.

they have those on the pcs at my school. why they wouldn't sell them is beyond me, but w/e.

I think they said they wanted to make everything the same, because all the computers throughout the rest of the district use XP.

I looked in the boxes and there were like 5 discs, one of them being XP Pro with SP2 and the other being Vista Business SP1.

They don't make an image with everything on it, they just install XP on it and manually do everything...I think. I looked at C:\ and there was a folder called 'ginstall' which is something by Microsoft that has settings and drivers that install itself...

so you basically got a free copy of vista business, right? or however many copies you can find serials for?

my school also downgraded a bunch of pentium dual cores that were meant for vista but the technician said that they will be upgrading them back to vista in september of this year (they were bought last years school year). Your schools are probably going to do that too. At my school all the serials are the same so selling them would be pointless

my school also downgraded a bunch of pentium dual cores that were meant for vista but the technician said that they will be upgrading them back to vista in september of this year (they were bought last years school year). Your schools are probably going to do that too. At my school all the serials are the same so selling them would be pointless
It's a volume license.

Most schools are still using XP for all their district computers and networking. It takes time and money to convert everything over to Vista and make it all work.

Back
Top Bottom