Problem with FrontPage Forms

cloksin

Baseband Member
I am trying to post a web form using MS FrontPage on my local intranet and have the results sent to an email address, however I keep getting this error when I try to save the form:
"This form cannot be configured to send results via email. The web site may be located at a disk-based location, or on a server that has not been configured to send email. Contact your system administrator or internet service provider for more information. Would you like to remove the email recipient?"
I click on no and can pull the page up in IE, but when I click on the submit button I get this error:
"FrontPage Run-time componet page. You have submitted a form or followed a link to a page that requires a web server and the FrontPage Server Extensions to function properly. this form or other FrontPage component will work correctly if you publish this web to a web server that has the FrontPage Server Extensions installed. Click the back arrow to return to the previous page."
The site is hosted on our web server and it does have the frontpage extensions installed correctly. This has been working in the past and only stopped working when I went to make the monthly changes to the form. I even tried to recreate the page from scratch and it still doesn't work, so I put last month's page, which was working fine back up, and now that one is not working.

is the SMTP service installed and correctly configured on the server?

what component are you useing to send mail? is this installed?

Ok, I figured out what was happening. Microsoft in all their wisdom think they know what I want to do more than I do. When I opened the file to edit it FrontPage was altering a script that was in the code causing the errors. I opened the original file in notepad and edited it that way and it works just fine with no errors. It turns out that if I open up the "web site" and navigate to the page I want to edit that way, I can make the changes to the page and have it function properly, but if I just open the page FP doesn't like the script for some reason and deletes part of it and alters another part of it, returning the errors.
Here's another thing, when I open the "site" and navigate to the page, the script that was gone does not show up in FP, but if I make changes elswhere in the code and save it the page works just fine even though the script appears to not be there. But if I open the file in notepad the script magically re-appears.
If I open the page up without opening the "site" first the script is gone, but then when I open it in notepad, it is still gone.

ha... lesson learned.

front page is shite, notepad FTW!

Back
Top Bottom