problem using computer with tv

we also want to see things on teh monitor too which uses teh only vga port on the card

the card doesn't have 2 ports for VGA/DVI? Most current vid cards have 2 DVI ports or 1 DVI and 1 VGA port and sometimes with an S-Video port in between. Do you know the model card that's in the box? Or is this an onboard vid card?

There might have been confusion on your part on what I meant by using the VGA port. I use my DVI port on my vid card and connect to the VGA port on the HDTV. If the new TV has multiple HDMI input connections ... you might consider using a VGA to HDMI cable or DVI to HDMI cable.

it has 1 vga which is used by the monitor a dvi port and an s video but the monitor itself is only vga or can you buy a different cable for dvi?

I don't think it does but that wouldn't give good resolution would it?

S-Video can only carry 576 lines, which is defined as standard definition video. VGA can carry high definition signals to your television.

There's a large difference between the two.

If you're using an HDTV, you would be better off with a DVI -> HDMI connection. It carries more bandwidth than VGA.

If you're using an HDTV, you would be better off with a DVI -> HDMI connection. It carries more bandwidth than VGA.

Most definitely! Only suggested going the DVI to VGA route since we don't have an answer on if HDMI inputs are available or used up by other AV components such as satellite and Blu-Ray. I only have one input on mine and its in use by my satellite receiver. I have a HDMI adapter that adds more inputs, but its kind of a pain to toggle back and forth between components.

Keep in mind though ... the more bandwidth provided by HDMI can be a little deceiving since some of it is audio. However through a video card that has a HDMI output it will only send video signal across.

yeah..its a effing fx5500 so no HDMI but is there a way to get a longer vga cable the ones we have are quite short. but what I don't understand is why the s video would display properly when using my laptop with intel graphics which is worse than nvidia

Back
Top Bottom