I think I DESTROYED my external hard drive

Looks like you need to learn from that mistake and never do it again. That being said, if there is stuff on there that you want to save you may be able to get from the hard drive, not sure. I would need the manufacturer of the ext /drv to be able to find more info.

Looks like you need to learn from that mistake and never do it again. That being said, if there is stuff on there that you want to save you may be able to get from the hard drive, not sure. I would need the manufacturer of the ext /drv to be able to find more info.

It is a western digital 500gb my book essential edition the model number is wd5000c032....Let me know if i can salvage anything off it and how to do so if you dont mind and thanx for the help youve givin me so far appreciated

It is a western digital 500gb my book essential edition the model number is wd5000c032....Let me know if i can salvage anything off it and how to do so if you dont mind and thanx for the help youve givin me so far appreciated

You can just replace the hard drive inside which will cost about 70-80$.

Also, I doubt shaking a drive like that would damage it. I've seen standard drives go thru hell and back and still be fine.

Sounds like you burnt out the motor inside. If you wanted to feel the weight move around, that's probably the small amount of G-force added to the spinning disks when they speed up faster than the motor can spin them.

Inside a Hard Drive are a certian number of hard disks (no idea what there made of or what there covered in) and a few "Arms" which extend to a head which is really a laser. These "arms" move to read and write on the disk. There are about 2 arms for eash disk(one for either side of the disk) so there could be as many as 4-16 heads or more in a single Hard drive. Therefore the disks have to spin. Hence the motor. If you spun it for 3 minutes you spun the disks faster than what the motor was spinning at(could have even been in the wrong direction) which would badly damage it.

Hope that enlighten you. I got all that info from taking apart a old 20Gb HDD. ^.^
They are called platters and heads ;)

That seriously cracked me up. I can imagine 3 mins of some dude shaking his hard drive, realllyy slowly. Sorry - I have a twisted sence of humor :D

I was stoned an ddint think anything off it when i was shaking the hell out of it

Odds are good it's not a total loss. Open it up and put the drive in your system as a slave and format the drive. Put it back in the enclosure and fire it up. If you still can't get to it then it's gone.

Back
Top Bottom