DNS may not be working???

googler1981

Solid State Member
Hello,

I'm hoping this is easy enough for someone out there.. me I'm not very computer saavy when it comes to this :) Heres the issue --

I've got my PC with wireless router, everything is working good. I've got 2 laptops. Laptop #1 connects great, no issues. Laptop #2 has never connected to this network successfully.

When I try to connect windows vista tells me that the DSN may not be working. I'm not sure what I need to do. I read somewhere that if you get the http://216.239.51.100/ for google.com then enter that info into your address bar and google appears that it is for sure a DNS issue.... that has been confirmed. I just don't know what the fix is.

Any ideas are welcomed. :)

Thanks!

Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion. I am not able to download this on my laptop. I am connected, but I can't view or open any webpages. It says the DNS maybe down.

:( :( :( :( :(

what os?
you may have manually set a dns for some reason. either set it to automatic or find the right dns.
go into network connections, right click the one you use, go to properties, and then tcp/ip.

as my vista is playing up (as usual) ill do it via memory.
click on your network icon in the taskbar, go to network and sharing centre, then at the side on the left there will be a link to manage network connections. once you get there right click the connection your using, go to properties, then tcp/ip, and make sure its all on automatic, or if you know your dns (its the same as my default gateway) then enter everything manually.

Hi Dude SE,

Under wireless network connection properties it lists--

This connection uses the following items:

Client for microsoft networks
QOS packet scheduler
file and prtiner sharing for microsoft netowrks
internet protocol version 6 (tcp/ipv6)
internet protocol version 4 (tcp/ipv4)
link layer topology discovery mapper i/o driver
link layer topology discovery responder

All those boxes are checked. I opened the properties to the tcp/ipv6 and tcp/ipv4 and it was set to obtain an IP address automatically and obtain DNS server address automatically on both the versions.

If you can think of anything else let me know.

Thanks so much! :)

oh sorry i get confused between vista and xp.
yea you found the right option.
hmm its all set automatically. thats wierd.
on the laptop that doesnt connect try: start>run, and type in "cmd" without the quotes, and then type "ipconfig", again, without the quotes. screenshot what it says.

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State................: Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS suffix . :

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection *7:

Media state................: media disconnected
Connection-specifi DNS suffix .:

Tunel adapter local area connection *10:

Media state....................: media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS suffix .:

It also lists the connection specific DNS suffix, link local IPv6 address, IPv4 address, subnet mask, default gateway under LAN adapter wireless network connection

AND

Connection specific DNS suffix, link-local IPv6 address under tunnel adapter local area connection *6.

I just didn't want to post all of that internal info here.

Back
Top Bottom