Is Vista worth it yet?

sanka

Daemon Poster
I'm buying a new computer for my mom, and I was wondering: is Vista worth it? I've been avoiding it since the release, but I'm wondering if it has been upgraded. Should I stick with XP or finally get Vista?

I'm buying a lower-end desktop. Something like an old dual-core with 1 or 2 gigs of RAM and a small hard drive. She really doesn't do much besides use Word, Solitaire, and Snood.

Performance on that machine would be decent at best. Upgrade a few components, and Vista should run fine.

i vote for yes...maybe 32 bit version though to ensure more compatibility at the moment with drivers for attatched devices.

I still use XP on my desktop and vista on my laptop and TBH if it aint broke dont fix it or in this case dont replace it ,

i find a few features of vista annoying such as UAC which to completely get rid off you have to stop security center warning you which for tech savy users ant a big issue but for someone with limited computer knowledge i don't think would be the best thing as far as security is concerned
and the fact that it is all prettied up which IMO serves no purpose at all apart from slowing the machine down .

apart from that it actually does run pretty well on my laptop
but i would say go with the 2gb at least , get as much memory as you can cos its relatively cheap and under vista adds a lot to performance

seeing as it is a build for your mum whom i am assuming is not very tech savvy i would say go with xp cos of the whole UAC issue

Back
Top Bottom