What is wrong with my PC?

vaio-fx

Daemon Poster
I have been having loads of problems with this pc recently, but today it got worse. Whenever I turn it on, it either turns off almost straight away or the graphics card makes a screaming noise - I never get any picture on the screen. When it did boot about a week ago I was experiencing constant freezing/crashing. I thought it was the motherboard becuase my DVD drive was not working, I later found it was the DVD drive that was at fault and replaced it. I have checked all connections and even re-built the whole pc using spare cables instead to rule out the possibility of broken cables. Could it possibly be the graphics card? It is the Gainward GF 8800GTS G92 and is still under warranty. Thanks for any help.

It only stays on for a few seconds and if it does stay on nothing appears on the screen.

Make sure everything is seated properly. Also, won't hurt to run Memtest86 to see if you have a bad memory module.

Thanks, I have checked everything again and it fine. I can't run memtest though, I cant see anything! :p

Whenever I turn it on, it either turns off almost straight away or the graphics card makes a screaming noise - I never get any picture on the screen.

There is a problem with the card then.

Can you try the card in a different pc?

Did you remove any clear plastic packaging film (yours may or may not have it) that normally covers the fan?

Does the screaming appear to be fan related or capacitor related?

If it is under warranty and you can find no obvious reason for the screaming I'd say it is a faulty cap, RMA time

A True Folder, does removing this clear plastic packaging film ruin the card? Because when I got mine it was like some what off so I just pulled the rest out as it wouldn't stick.

edit: And I haven't even used it yet, waiting for the rest of my build.

Thanks for the replies, the card is exactly how I got it a few months ago, I havent removed anything. It doesnt make the screaming noise verytime, but does so it a lot, I still can't get any picture at all. Sadly the only spare cards I have are AGP and this is the same in spare PCs. Also is it even possible to get this replaced as I believe the 8800GTS has reached EOL. I got it from scan and they no longer have it listed on their site.

Back
Top Bottom