Should I go with DDR2 800?

So you're trying to tell me that a motherboard that runs a 1333MHz FSB can't fully utilize memory that runs on a 1333MHZ FSB? Explain please.

Rooster I'm no expert but from what I understand the FSB will be divided between the cores so you can only utilize half of that.

I guess I'll have to wait for somebody who knows what they are talking about about to get a straight answer on this.

the fsb of The intel core 2 duo is quad pumped (QDR)so even though it says 1333mhz its actually 333mhz X 4 and so with a FSB to ram ratio of 1:1 you only need 333mhz ram seing as these days ram is double data rate 333X2 =667 so DDR2 667 will do anythihg more wont actually offer any performance boost ,
i dont know how true it is im just stating what i have gathered from many sources over my time i dont run intel rigs so i dont know how true that actually is

now to run 1200mhz ram in a ratio of 1:1 would require a FSB of 600Mhz which when quad pumped would go to 2400Mhz which obviously isnt possible with todays hardware

however you can still run the ram at 1200mhz and keep the CPU's FSB at 1333(333QDR) byt not using a FSB:RAM of 1:1 but this is not as desirable
the ratio would be FSB:RAM 1:2 aprox which some people claim effects stability as the northbridge has to translate data flow between the two and you cant run as tight memory timings with a ratio of 1:2 which some people also think effects performance

and so the performance gain over running with a FSB:RAM 1:2 with ram speed of 1200Mhz is actually debatabley just as good as running 667 with FSB:RAM 1:1 with tighter timings

the fsb of The intel core 2 duo is quad pumped (QDR)so even though it says 1333mhz its actually 333mhz X 4 and so with a FSB to ram ratio of 1:1 you only need 333mhz ram seing as these days ram is double data rate 333X2 =667 so DDR2 667 will do anythihg more wont actually offer any performance boost ,
i dont know how true it is im just stating what i have gathered from many sources over my time i dont run intel rigs so i dont know how true that actually is

now to run 1200mhz ram in a ratio of 1:1 would require a FSB of 600Mhz which when quad pumped would go to 2400Mhz which obviously isnt possible with todays hardware

however you can still run the ram at 1200mhz and keep the CPU's FSB at 1333(333QDR) byt not using a FSB:RAM of 1:1 but this is not as desirable
the ratio would be FSB:RAM 1:2 aprox which some people claim effects stability as the northbridge has to translate data flow between the two and you cant run as tight memory timings with a ratio of 1:2 which some people also think effects performance

and so the performance gain over running with a FSB:RAM 1:2 with ram speed of 1200Mhz is actually debatabley just as good as running 667 with FSB:RAM 1:1 with tighter timings

I was close =p

That makes more sense muz.

From what I have read though, it seems it would be more desirable to have a higher data flow though the memory for higher performance. I haven't read of any instabilities in tests involving DDR2 1200.

That makes more sense muz.

From what I have read though, it seems it would be more desirable to have a higher data flow though the memory for higher performance. I haven't read of any instabilities in tests involving DDR2 1200.

the stability issues aren't with the actual speed of the RAM, it's in the data transfer between the RAM and cpu, it's the very definition of bottlenecking, it's akin to having a stick of 800mhz RAM and a stick of 667mhz RAM running together at the same time, the 800mhz RAM will only run at 667mhz, the RAM speed is limited by it's slowest component, the data transfer between the cpu and RAM works on the same principal...

DD2 1066mhz RAM will be better and more valuable than the DDR2 800.

Huge different in the cloack speed but a very little difference in the price.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom