New built computer FREEZES please help!!

OK another update as of just now. I have purchased some thermal paste or compound to reapply to the heatsink and cpu since I wiped the old stuff off and didn't put more on. The CPU is running much cooler. It idels at about 32 and I ran a benchmark which put the processor at 100% for about 2.5 minutes and the temp only got to 42C. However I am not positive this was the problem. So what should be my next step. Again I have a fresh copy of windows installed with xp sp2 and no windows updates. I have the asus chipset driver and vga driver installed ONLY. No network or anything like that. I have installed speedfan and everest to monitor the temperature of the system and lastly reapplied some thermal paste to the processor and heatsink. What should I do now. I will leave the system on with everything installed that I have just mentioned. To see if it shuts off. I have both mem. sticks in and running. Please let me know if there are any suggestions or what I should do next. Thanks

Sounds like you nailed the problem if you were able to run the benchmarking programs with out any freezing. The nest step would be reinstalling the rest of the drivers and apps while and checking after each install for any problems to rule out any software conflicts.

That sounds like a plan I will work on that and restart after every install to make sure things are still working great. Although I am still not sure if the problem is solved this computer has been known to work flawlessly for 2-3 days straight then start having problems. I will start installing drivers and programs slowly and see how well it takes it. I will check the event viewer and the temps and report any errors I run across.

Yeah I agree however at this moment they are turned off and when i do install the drivers for the ethernet I will make sure they stay off until I let the computer run for a few days without problems.

Well I have gotten an ERROR!!! I got lucky on this one because as i was just about to go to bed I thought I should see how the computer is running before lights out. It was in the process of restarting and no one has touched it. It tried to boot up but came to a black screen like always. I held the button to shut it down and turned it back on. I got lucky because i caught it before too much damage to the OS I got back into windows and got an error message pop up right away stating:

"One of the files containing the systems registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful."

No errors in the event viewer... I failed to mention this before but I have gotten this error many times about a month ago when the issue started occurring. The only thing on the PC was xp drivers from Asus website for chipset and VGA. No lan drivers, audio, or any others. NO INTERNET obviously because no lan drivers. No software other than drivers and speedfan and everest to test temps. Temps NEVER got higher than 33C at idle and the computer was at an idle state when it started the restart issue. Please answers!!! Hopefully this has helped someone else so they can help me. Again I was able to boot to windows so i shouldn't have to reformat just yet but I have turned off the machine so it doesn't continue doing whatever the heck it is doing. Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

well the moral of that story to me is to switch out the memory. I will take one out and turn it on again throughout the night and see how it looks tomorrow and following.

EDIT... So just to add on to this update I took a memory stick out of the machine and turned it back on. Windows booted up with the same error...so i decided to reboot right away again. Windows booted back up with no error. So I will run the computer with this one chip for a few days and monitor it and see how long it lasts. If it doesn't work I should know within a max of 3 days. I will continuously post the status of the computer. Any other ideas or suggestions please feel free.

Yeah this was one of the first things i tried a few weeks ago. I ran it each stick alone for about an hour with no problems what so ever.

Back
Top Bottom