Asus eee

I don't really like the EEEPC honestly. It's not performent as what you'd think. This laptop can barely handle XP, let alone Linux. I don't know how much free space remaining, but it's probably a little less than a gig.

Most Linux distributions use up far less resources than Windows XP. There are even tiny distributions for using on old, low-spec machines and one (Puppy, I think) can even be run from RAM because it's so small.

Yeah, I believe it's puppy, but I think of DSL Linux too. Although, the OS is light, but the applications might fill it up a bit. There's definatelly less than 1.5gigs free on a 2GB laptop. I mean...a 4GB SD card would have been a better implementation instead of a SSD. Still, I think the money is spent on the LCD display, the Atom processor and the SSD itself.

It's just that the specs are okay, just not the drive. That's really the problem.

Yeah, I believe it's puppy, but I think of DSL Linux too. Although, the OS is light, but the applications might fill it up a bit. There's definatelly less than 1.5gigs free on a 2GB laptop. I mean...a 4GB SD card would have been a better implementation instead of a SSD. Still, I think the money is spent on the LCD display, the Atom processor and the SSD itself.

It's just that the specs are okay, just not the drive. That's really the problem.

Yeah. But you have to keep in mind the fact that it probably wasn't designed for use as your regular laptop is, but just to allow people to get on the internet, check emails and do light office work here and there, making simple computing on the go affordable. For those who want only extra storage, an external hard drive can be bought and it would still bring you to less than a normal laptop. :)

well, i already have an External 160gb.
and i was wondering if i install XP onto the SSD, and then install all the programs on my external, and every time i need the programs, i would just hook up my external. Will that be okay? or will it still not be able to run XP normally, i pretty much want to do things on the Eee except playing any games or doing any graphics design.

and does anyone know if the RAM on the Eee is upgradable?

Honestly if you intend to do any typing beyond simple web browsing i wouldnt reccomend it i was playing with one in a shop the other week and i couldnt even type using both hands the keyboard space was that cramped and if your fingers are normal sized you are going to have problems typing cos your fingers will press like 3 buttons at a time

IMO they are just a novelty toy and after a while the novelty will ware off , if you want something a bit smaller get something with like a 13" screen the keyboards on them are a bit better for typing

well that has better specs should run xp fine , it still has the problem with being small though

I don't really like the EEEPC honestly. It's not performent as what you'd think. This laptop can barely handle XP, let alone Linux. I don't know how much free space remaining, but it's probably a little less than a gig.
Have you ever used one? Clearly not. They run an nLited version of XP great.

I own one, it's really nice to have for the portability, but it's not a good PC for college. Typing on it is a pain.

Back
Top Bottom