how to copy the C drive in dos?

BossChase

Baseband Member
Hi guys

Something on my pc failed and when I boot up vista it just stops on a blank screen right before I would usualy see the desktop. I can move the mouse around but nothing loads.

Techsupport wants me to reinstall the op but I don't want to lose all my files.

Is there a way I can copy everything from my
C drive to my M drive(a 320gb USB drive) using the dos prompt?

Thanks so much for any advice

I don't know if this would be the same within Vista, but you can give it a try.

xcopy c:\ m:\ /c/h/e/r/k/y/s

Instead of doing a complete install just do a repair.

With XP Pro you have the option of doing a fresh install, loosing all your files in the process, or you can repair the Operating System. The latter just re-installs the files necessary for the Operating System and leaves all your files intact.

I don't know if this would be the same within Vista, but you can give it a try.

xcopy c:\ m:\ /c/h/e/r/k/y/s

Thanks so much! I'll try it out tonight

I call techsupport back and ask them about doing a repair but they didn't give me that option on the phone and I made it clear that I really didn't want to lose my data

P.S. I got the usb drive from a friend after the crash.

Instead of doing a complete install just do a repair.

With XP Pro you have the option of doing a fresh install, loosing all your files in the process, or you can repair the Operating System. The latter just re-installs the files necessary for the Operating System and leaves all your files intact.

I talked to the techsupprt guys and they said there was no way for my to repair the problem. :confused:

But I have a feeling its more a will issue :( on there part. i'll see if i can do anything with it but i'd feel alot better if I could get it copyed just in case lol

I talked to the techsupprt guys and they said there was no way for my to repair the problem. :confused:

Odds are there is a way to repair the problem. I'm willing to be they told you that because it's what they are required to tell you or else they'd lose their job. It's something I"m all too familiar with.

Back
Top Bottom