Suspected processor failure...Help Plz

Kungfucow

Baseband Member
I'm was running a Pentium 4 3.73ghz extreme in an Asus P5WD2 premium. Recently while recording our live podcast, video cut out. I know its NOT the video card because it was recently upgraded to a 3850(on sale at frys
&(^_^&) ) Tried another montior/ cable w/ no improvment. Powersupply is a 1200 watt Antec 80 Plus and is still powering my hardrives/ case fans/etc. On restarts, there is no video and the processor stays cold. Doesn't smell of fried computer parts, but I believe the processor holds the key to fixing the problem. Any ideas?

Also Bios are up to date I believe

did you get any post beeps, or ever had any post beeps back when your computer worked?

if not, then do you have one of these?
speaker.jpg

they are mini speakers that acts like post beeps for computers that does not have post beeps to determine the problem.

I don't have one of those. Plus I don't remeber it ever beeping at me when it was working. I don't recall it beeping when it wasn't working either.

look on your motherboard for anything that look's like melted metal or anything at that... you sure your video card might not of had something like a wire blocking the fan causing it to overheat and die out? same with cpu.

That was actually one of the first things I checked. No wires in fans here. Nothing melted that I can see. Things are looking grim :*(

Oh maybe I can substitue the processor with my family Pentium D. Lemme try that and get back to you guys.Probably gonna be tomorow becasue I'm out of thermal compound. Cross your fingers gentlemen. :|

hmm, its usually easier if you are able to get post beeps, but i dont know where you can get those speakers, mines came with an old case.

Do you have any spare parts to test with?

no beep things :*( What is the beep code for "Your processor bit the bullet" for future reference?

FYI, just because something is brand new, doesn't mean it works.

If video card is the only thing you've changed recently, try putting the old one back in. If that doesn't work, then I would start looking at memory.

I just had this problem 3 days ago, you can ask many of these members. It ended up that my motherboard fried (no lights, no sound [couldn't tell if I had speakers or not]). Plus will the processor even cause this? I thought processors turned off when they got too hot to prevent them from frying, so all you would see really is a bunch of restarts.

Back
Top Bottom