Buying Power Supply

Relmiw

Baseband Member
the power supply i'm thinking of buying is this one
http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/460-watt-power-supply-FSP460-60GLC.php

i am looking for something that fits a dell dimension 4500, ideally around 400 watts

i'm afraid to shop around too much because i'm worried they won't fit or won't have the right plugs.
the website that sells that one navigated me to either that one or a 250 watt one based on my computer specifications, so assuming this is the problem, this is a power supply that will work. it is over powered and will cost me $100, but i see no better option.

does anyone know of a better place to get one?

for one thing, we need to know where you live.
if you live in canada, there are some sites, but i forgot what they are called.
if you live in the US, you can use Newegg.com, or if you live near a microcenter (microcenter.com)
or if you live elsewhere, then i wouldn't know know.
i am sure that most PSU will fit in any case.
a 250W for $100 is WAY overpriced.
you can get a quality OCZ 500W for $60 on newegg (last time i checked)

Here's a great deal on a quality power supply that will work in your Dell: Antec Basiq BP-350B 350W - $19.99. You really don't need much more than that for a stock Dell unless you have a high performance video card.

thanks for the answers
If you want more power than the 350W offers, this is the best bang for your buck: Antec Basiq BP500UB 500W - $39.99.

i did buy a video card, but i don't think it is high performance. it is a 128 MB ATI Raedon 9550.
the computer also runs 2 512 sticks of RAM, and one dvd burner. what size do you think is appropriate for that?
the computer itself is from 2002, so those are all upgrades. i'm not sure how many more years it has in it.

Teny, i am in the united states
the power supply i mentioned for $100 is a 450 watt one

the power supply came in the mail a couple days ago from new egg.
just now i put it into the computer. i plugged all the plugs where they should go, except for the disk drive. that one is tricky and i never use it.
the only curveball is that this power supply has an on/off switch on the back of it where my other one did not, and there is no hole in the tower to accommodate it. i was able to hold the power supply against the screws and tighten it anyway though.

i hooked everything up and went to turn it on. nothing happened.
i took it all apart, made sure all the wires were connected and that the power supply switch was set to on. still nothing is happening.

what could be wrong here?

the power supply came in the mail a couple days ago from new egg.
just now i put it into the computer. i plugged all the plugs where they should go, except for the disk drive. that one is tricky and i never use it.
the only curveball is that this power supply has an on/off switch on the back of it where my other one did not, and there is no hole in the tower to accommodate it. i was able to hold the power supply against the screws and tighten it anyway though.

i hooked everything up and went to turn it on. nothing happened.
i took it all apart, made sure all the wires were connected and that the power supply switch was set to on. still nothing is happening.

what could be wrong here?

did you plug it in...? jk...

are the two motherboard plugs plugged in...? is everything (especially the memory) seated properly and clipped in...?

Is the power switch on the PSU being pushed on in any way when attaching the screws?

Are all the wires to the front panel connected properly?

Back
Top Bottom