China is a polished turd

Nope, I mean 60,000. I could be wrong though, depends on whether newsweek is lying or not =p

They have to be. let's use my last fill up as an example. I'll round up to $35 for my top-off (that's half my tank). so $35*18,000,000 Zimbabwe = $60,000 Zimbabwe? That doesn't add up right... It should be more like $630,000,000 to fill up my half of my tank in Zimbabwe

Well you can't just look at it like that. You have to take into account how many cars the country has and how many of them run on gas (some could run on ethanol).

For example, take Venezuela, the litter is like 50 cents.

Another fact, 40% of the worlds population is in India and China.

Another fact, 100% of tech support workers are in India and China.

Another Fact, 666% of tech support workers are 98% impossible to understand, and of those remaining -566% that you can understand, they dont know a thing either...

Once you get to the retention dept, thats where they revert bag to full blown english speakers.

Another Fact, 666% of tech support workers are 98% impossible to understand, and of those remaining -566% that you can understand, they dont know a thing either...

Once you get to the retention dept, thats where they revert bag to full blown english speakers.

You are joking, right?

No he's not, because it's entirely possible to have 666%...:rolleyes:

First of all, I'll take these 2 figures from the links you posted.
Direct quotes:
China: "Population below poverty line (2004) 10%"
USA: "Poverty in the United States is cyclical in nature with roughly 12% to 16% living below the poverty line at any given point in time"

So, in fact, in the USA a bigger percentage of people are living in poverty.

Poverty in the U.S is very, very different then poverty in China. E.g:

China: 8 people might live in a shack together without electricity and a working toilet, they might have water. They probably work 16 hours a day in a shitty sweatshop 6 to 7 days a week choking on smog. Because of the dirty conditions 2 out of those 8 people might die of dysentery (the 5th cause of death in China) Another 1 or 2 might die of Starvation. (7th cause of death in china)

America: We have electricty, Water, Plumbing and Welfare. If someone is unemployed and cant get a job. Right now they could walk down to a temp service and start working at $9.00 an hour the next day. And basically they could pay for whatever they need to live easily. The only way you can get into poverty in the U.S is to be a complete lazy ass.

mammikoura said:
this is true. However the change will be a slow one and it has to come at it's own pace. Making huge economical changes just so athletes have cleaner air to breathe is not really an option.

I did mention that in an earlier post and I agree that it is foolish to expect a country to have cleaned their air to the level of, say, the UK or USA within anything less than twenty years or so.

muz said:
Just because they earn a dollar an hour dosent make them poor , just because a dollar wont go far dosent mean with chinas developing economy it wont go far , things are cheaper in china and the cost of living is a lot lower , a dollar over there could mean 5 dollars over there in proportionate terms , dont take that as fact i was just demonstrating how a dollar means a completely different thing in both cointries
for instance its like comparing the fule costs in the US and UK its completely different as the cost of living and the ammount of money people earn is different on each side of the atlantic and so their fuel may seem cheap to us but the proce of living over here may be less than over there

root said:
I have a feeling that everyone only read the first line of my post.

the reason people say a dollar a day is not because that's the universal great thing everyone needs just one dollar, imagine that, in UK terms that's about 80pence a day, not even enough for a loaf of bread, let alone a house or clothes.

yet in other countries a dollar would suffice to pay for housing, clothing and food. (I don't know what country).

the reason the 'term' "A dollar a day" is coined is because it's easy to remember, it's catchy and it helps to illustrate to people that when governments talk about giving aid to a country to help lift people out of debt, it's not like they are talking about giving away all of their tax money collected for that year.

it's an over simplification.

which is why in the second part of my post I said, the almost* universally accepted level that defines the poverty line is earning enough money to put food on the table, and a roof over your head

*I say almost universally accepted because (and to bring the conversation full circle), in china the measure that is used for the poverty line when publishing most figures is actually earning enough to feed yourself, (or family), and does not include the cost of being able to cloth yourself, or house yourself. these are known as food poverty line and general poverty line.

you can read more about poverty measures in china here

To clear the matter up for anyone else reading.

$1 = 6.5 Yuan

It's still not a lot, mind you. Their average pay, per day, was 99.31 Yuan or roughly $14, giving them a grand total of roughly $3,627 per year. You'll have to work out how much their expenditure on things like food, water and fuel is, though. And taxes, too.

superman22x said:

Of course :rolleyes:

America: We have electricty, Water, Plumbing and Welfare. If someone is unemployed and cant get a job. Right now they could walk down to a temp service and start working at $9.00 an hour the next day. And basically they could pay for whatever they need to live easily. The only way you can get into poverty in the U.S is to be a complete lazy ass.
it's harder to get a well paid "the very next day" kind of job than you are imagining.

Back
Top Bottom