nForce 780i mobo ram question

cyclohexane

Solid State Member
I was reading on newegg.com that the nForce 780i mobo supports ddr2 800 ram. The website for evga states that it can "Use a Maximum of 8GB of DDR2 533/667/800/1200MHz SLI-Ready memory"

So my question: If I bought DDR2-1200 ram would that be compatible with the nForce 780i mobo? If not, is the 1200speed actaully 800 oc'd?

Thanks,

Chris.

well, i think in order to get the 1200mhz of speed on a ram to work on a mobo is only if you got like a quad core (at least for AMd's, not sure about Intels)
and i think if you dont have a quad core, the speed will be reduced to 800mhz because of the bottlenecking.
I never heard of any memory going up to 1200mhz, i only heard of them going up to 1066mhz. Maybe they are talking about OC'ing, not sure.

the speed will be reduced to 800mhz because of the bottlenecking.

Thanks for the speedy reply Teny. I saw on Newegg.com that they actually sell DDR2-1200 Ram. Just wanted to point that out.

Could you also explain more about bottlenecking, whats that all about and how come it happens?

bottlenecking is pretty much when one part of the system limits the whole system.

Like for example, if you got an quad core, but you only have 512mb of ram. You cant really use the quad core to the full extent due to the 512mb, so then in order to use the quad core to its full potential would be to upgrade to 2gb or ram.

Another example would be if you had a really great system able to run everything all fast, but you are using Onboard video, and when you play games, you cant have good graphics, and get bad FPS, and lags a lot. Reason is because the onboard is bottlenecking the whole system, so then you cant use the system to the full extent when playing games till you get a new graphics card. This kind of applies to monitors too, like if you got one that displays 1024x764, and you got like the 4870X2, you cant really use it to the fullest because the monitor doesnt require that much power from the graphics card.

can you post the link of the motherboard you have?
EDIT - the 1200mhz of ram seems pretty expensive, and not very popular.
may i ask why you want to get 1200mhz? It might be cheaper and better if you go with the 1066mhz if your mobo supports it.

EDIT2 - doing some research, it says it only goes up to 1200mhz with EEP, which i think its something to do with SLi/Crossfire.
I am not really familiar with this kind of stuff.
mayber the eVGA support center can help you further since its their product.
http://www.evga.com/community/chat/
but it seems like its out of service. Maybe try the message board.
sorry for not being much of help.

bottlenecking is pretty much when one part of the system limits the whole system.

Like for example, if you got an quad core, but you only have 512mb of ram. You cant really use the quad core to the full extent due to the 512mb, so then in order to use the quad core to its full potential would be to upgrade to 2gb or ram.

Another example would be if you had a really great system able to run everything all fast, but you are using Onboard video, and when you play games, you cant have good graphics, and get bad FPS, and lags a lot. Reason is because the onboard is bottlenecking the whole system, so then you cant use the system to the full extent when playing games till you get a new graphics card. This kind of applies to monitors too, like if you got one that displays 1024x764, and you got like the 4870X2, you cant really use it to the fullest because the monitor doesnt require that much power from the graphics card.

can you post the link of the motherboard you have?
EDIT - the 1200mhz of ram seems pretty expensive, and not very popular.
may i ask why you want to get 1200mhz? It might be cheaper and better if you go with the 1066mhz if your mobo supports it.

EDIT2 - doing some research, it says it only goes up to 1200mhz with EEP, which i think its something to do with SLi/Crossfire.
I am not really familiar with this kind of stuff.
mayber the eVGA support center can help you further since its their product.
http://www.evga.com/community/chat/
but it seems like its out of service. Maybe try the message board.
sorry for not being much of help.

Thanks, I now know what bottlenecking is. I noticed that the 1200 was mucho expensive, f that crap! 800 FTW.

um, I have no idea where you got this example from, but it's way off, bottle necking has to do with throughput, a better example would be running DDR2 800mhz memory on a motherboard that only has a 1066FSB, to get the desired 1:1 ratio with the FSB and RAM the FSB would have to be able to run at 1600mhz (instead of the 1066), in this example the FSB would be the bottleneck, limiting the performance of the memory...

size has nothing to do with bottlenecking, speed in relation to data transfer is where you get bottlenecks...

I was reading on newegg.com that the nForce 780i mobo supports ddr2 800 ram. The website for evga states that it can "Use a Maximum of 8GB of DDR2 533/667/800/1200MHz SLI-Ready memory"

So my question: If I bought DDR2-1200 ram would that be compatible with the nForce 780i mobo? If not, is the 1200speed actaully 800 oc'd?

Thanks,

Chris.

whatever the rated FSB of the 780i board is (1333, 1600, etc.), you want to cut in half to get the RAM that would "sync" with that FSB...

if the mobo supports a 1333mhz FSB, then 667mhz RAM will do (1333/2=667), 1600mhz FSB, then 800mhz RAM will suffice...

size can... kind of.. if you think in a way.
can you really use a CPU to the full extent even though you are limited to the small amount of ram when running a game?

kind of seems like Intel are more complicated than AMD when searching for the right mobo....

I think it is compatable.

My mobo can take up to PC3200 DDR 400 RAM but I use PC4000 DDR 500 RAM. Using this RAM on my set up means that I can OC the HT to 250Mhz, with tight memory settings. Something I couldn't do with PC3200 RAM.

If your going to OC then consider higher speed memory.

by 4G of high quality 800 speed ram for cheep
then over clock it to 1200 very easy cheep
ull be happy

by 4G of high quality 800 speed ram for cheep
then over clock it to 1200 very easy cheep
ull be happy

why would you OC your RAM to 1200 just for the sake of OCing it...? there would be no performance increase at all, 800mhz RAM wouldn't need to be OCed until they come out with a motherboard with an FSB greater than 1600...

Back
Top Bottom