No Image

The computer I'm going to refer to is the one I received from a friend with only motherboard, CPU, RAM, Case, and DVD-ROM. It used to be a Gateway GT5032, but I have added parts. I took out the SATA HDD from my old dell and plugged it in on this one (It has Windows and the drivers from the old Dell). I bought (all in sig) a new PSU, Video Card, fans and thermal paste.

I have a 120mm intake and a 92mm outtake fan. Before applying the thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5), I cleaned off the CPU and Heatsink with isopropyl alcohol. I've never really applied thermal paste before, but I looked up the instructions etc. I applied a little bit, at most the size of a BB, I doubt it was even that much, then I spread it using a card. I accidentally got some on the pins though, so I carefully cleaned it a Qtip and the alcohol.

After that I finished plugging in everything and proceeded to attempt a start-up. Because the HDD had drivers from the dell, but I know Windows has some basic drivers, I plugged my video into the motherboard. Unfortunately when I turned it on there was no image.

Where could the problem be? Can a bad processor cause this? The person who donated me the computer said he was 90% sure the reason it wasn't working was the PSU. When I turned it on all fans powered up, and I'm pretty sure the motherboard is fine because the fans are connected to it. The only things I could possibly think of that could not be working properly is the RAM and the CPU.

Just because the fans are spinning doesn't mean the PSU and/or the motherboard are not at fault. Try a different powersupply, and if that doesn't work, RAM.

I doubt the CPU is the issue assuming there is no remaining compound on it.

My first post might not have been clear. The PSU just arrived today (I got the computer without). I can try changing the RAM. As far as the CPU, I cleaned off remaining compound on it BEFORE I APPLIED the Arctic Silver 5

Do you hear any beep codes at startup? Are you sure the motherboard supports the CPU with it's current BIOS?

Motherboard is fried. No lights, no beeps. I started without RAM. And I couldn't find anything else that could have been the problem.

Sounds like it, it should be beeping it's tits off with no memory in there.

Try assembling just the basics outside the case on a non-conductive surface to remove the chance of a short.

You do have the case speaker connected yes? (no lights isn't good)

All cables that came in the case were connected properly. I checked for lights found none at all. There isn't any chances of shorts as the motherboard is on stand-offs.

Motherboard is fried. No lights, no beeps. I started without RAM. And I couldn't find anything else that could have been the problem.

of course it won't light up or beep, it won't start without the RAM, put the RAM back in and I bet it'll be un-fried...

All cables that came in the case were connected properly. I checked for lights found none at all. There isn't any chances of shorts as the motherboard is on stand-offs.

Do not think that. Anything and everything can cause problems with a computer. Take that board out of the case and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom