China is a polished turd

I have to say, by the reckoning of a lot of people in here, the Olympics should just be scrapped because, somewhere in their history, every country would have done something bad enough to deny them the opportunity in your view. Take Britain, for example, and our involvement in the slave trade. Should we be banned from hosting the Olympics? Same question with Spain. Similarly, Britain and France are two examples of countries that showed Imperialism at various stages. Again, should we be banned?

Germany, starting both of the World Wars and causing the loss of millions of lives. Should they be banned from hosting the games? Or Japan for attacking the USA? Or Italy for their involvement in the wars?

And what about the USA? They, too, were involved in the slave trade and, in the eyes of a great many, have gotten themselves in to conflicts that, perhaps, they shouldn't have (much like Great Britain). Israel and Palestine, for the constant conflicts where the casualties are usually civilian, or any middle-eastern country for a minority of their population being involved in acts of terrorism?

Could go on and on here, but the reality is that I don't think you could find many countries, save for those few tiny ones (some of the Scandinavian countries, for example, have a cleaner recent history than most other countries), that should, by your newly-set standards, be permitted to host the games.

The majority of these things which have happened are in the past and nothing can change the fact that they've happened, so why not just drop it and let the games run without all this? I'm sure this doesn't constitute to the Olympic Spirit...

:)

The majority of these things which have happened are in the past and nothing can change the fact that they've happened, so why not just drop it and let the games run without all this? I'm sure this doesn't constitute to the Olympic Spirit...

Couldn't agree more. The Olympics aren't about politics.

yer but it always does end up being about politics
which kinda sucks cos it should be a celebration of the worlds sporting talent but these days its over shaddowed by politics and cheaters using illegal substances to win

yer but it always does end up being about politics
which kinda sucks cos it should be a celebration of the worlds sporting talent but these days its over shaddowed by politics and cheaters using illegal substances to win

It is a shame, yes. I do get the impression that a lot of people in here who are slamming China for their past don't really care too much for the Games, though, to be honest. Which is also a shame.

The Olympics shouldn't be about politics. I actually think China has done a great job with the Olympics and it seems pretty clear that they want to make a good impression with the rest of the world. Sure China wouldn't have been my first place for the games, but they're doing a much better job than I thought they would and I think they deserve credit for doing such a great job. All politics aside, I think the games are going pretty good so far. The Olympics should be about world unity, not politics.

The Olympics shouldn't be about politics. I actually think China has done a great job with the Olympics and it seems pretty clear that they want to make a good impression with the rest of the world. Sure China wouldn't have been my first place for the games, but they're doing a much better job than I thought they would and I think they deserve credit for doing such a great job. All politics aside, I think the games are going pretty good so far. The Olympics should be about world unity, not politics.

I couldn't agree more.

Alright, Britain only have one gold medal so far, but I've enjoyed watching the diving competitions as well as the badminton. I think the Chinese have not only dedicated themselves to hosting the Games, but also to showing that they're world-class athletes, too.

I was quite impressed with the 3M Springboard Synchronised diving where the two guys from Ukraine took the bronze medal. I was rooting for them to pull that off and they did. :)

The only issue i have about China hosting the Olympics is that they made a lot of promises when they made the bid for the Olympics all those years ago. They were granted the Olympics on the basis that they fulfilled those promise and to this date there are a lot of promises that have not been addressed...such as cutting down on pollution etc

The only issue i have about China hosting the Olympics is that they made a lot of promises when they made the bid for the Olympics all those years ago. They were granted the Olympics on the basis that they fulfilled those promise and to this date there are a lot of promises that have not been addressed...such as cutting down on pollution etc

wrong. They have most definitely done pretty much everything they could to reduce pollution. For example, before the olympics started (and I'd imagine it's the same now) cars are allowed to be used only on every other day. So, for example, monday you can use a car and tuesday you can't, wednesday you can etc.. (obviously so that 50% of the cars can be used on monday, the other 50% on tuesday etc).
That and they closed down some factories or something like that close to Bejing. Also, I don't remember the amount of trees they planted, but I'm sure it was in the thousands.

The results are good, though still the air isn't as good as it is in many other countries. But saying they didn't do anything is just wrong.

And muz, I don't have anything against political debate threads. That is, if they are done properly. A thread with the topic of "China is a polished turd" isnt' exactly my idea of a proper and mature debate.

Also its difficult trying to reduce your pollution when every other country is outsourcing their manufacturing to the likes of china and a lot of these manufacturing plants are dirty pollution industry so its unfair of the developed world to give china all of this dirty industry and then say they have to reduce pollution so i dont just think its china's responsibility to reduce the pollution all on their own

and yeas i agree the title of the thread int exactly the best in to world you can just tell from the off it was going to be china bashing

cars are allowed to be used only on every other day. So, for example, monday you can use a car and tuesday you can't, wednesday you can etc.. (obviously so that 50% of the cars can be used on monday, the other 50% on tuesday etc).

LOL yeah they started doing that as of the 1st of march this year. They were awarded the Olympics what ..nearly 10 years ago. Huge effort. And those measures were undertaken as an 11th hour "emergency plan" in the words of Chinas own Olympic president.

Also its difficult trying to reduce your pollution when every other country is outsourcing their manufacturing to the likes of china and a lot of these manufacturing plants are dirty pollution industry so its unfair of the developed world to give china all of this dirty industry and then say they have to reduce pollution so i dont just think its china's responsibility to reduce the pollution all on their own
I don't buy into that. There is no one else to blame for that than the Chinese government ..they allow these companies to charge their workers ridiculously low wages which is what leads to these other countries taking advantage of cheaparse foreign trade.

Back
Top Bottom