Using the COA sticker to get a free copy of XP

flipteo

Beta member
Hi,

Can it be done?

I just bought a Thinkpad T42 with no OS, thinking that "Oh, there might be a a few things in Linux that will require tweaking, but it'll be all good once I work them out". I think I was wrong. I'm running Ubuntu, and, it just isn't polished enough imo. I'm having issues with sound. You tweak and tweak and tweak, then you go and install a new program and everything gets phucked up. There's that and then just about a half dozen other little annoying things. Like fonts.

Anyway, this laptop I have has a COA sticker for xp on the bottom of it. Is there a way I can use that to somehow get a legal copy of xp onto this computer. Or, is there any at all of getting xp for free or next to it?

just download the right version of xp off a torrent site. burn to a cd, and install. if its a legal key then its fine. just make sure its the right os for the right key. eg: if its an xp pro sp2 key then thats the os you need.

just download the right version of xp off a torrent site. burn to a cd, and install. if its a legal key then its fine. just make sure its the right os for the right key. eg: if its an xp pro sp2 key then thats the os you need.

Probably could determine what version comes with the IBM Thinkpad T42 by looking up the model on IBM's site.

Is suggesting/encouraging downloading software via torrent allowed here on CF? Just curious.

Is suggesting/encouraging downloading software via torrent allowed here on CF? Just curious.

If you have a valid COA it's not illegal to download and install it so why wouldn't it be allowed. Now, downloading a hacked version (such as xp black, xp lite, etc) would be forbidden as it's illegal.

Back
Top Bottom