I think I DESTROYED my external hard drive

altimator2001

Baseband Member
I picked my external up while still connected to the pc and running and shook it around cuz i thought it was cool to feel the weight move or w/e is inside there and now i believe i may have tottaly ruined my 150.00 external hard drive and will have to replace it...So my question is is this a possibility or is there other steps i can take..ALso it does not pick up on either pc a vista nad xp it connects but icannot actually access the hard drive itself

LMAO>>>>So im taking that i did exactly what i thought i did and deserve that i gotta say that was hilllarious

what external HDD is it? IE manufacturer/model

and when you plug it in, does it even detects it? or does it say malfunction device?
you can break it open and plug it in internally and see if it works

it does detect but no dialog box comes up and i can not acces the drive from my computer folder its a western digital i think 50gb the ones with the green led ring

Sounds like you burnt out the motor inside. If you wanted to feel the weight move around, that's probably the small amount of G-force added to the spinning disks when they speed up faster than the motor can spin them.

Inside a Hard Drive are a certian number of hard disks (no idea what there made of or what there covered in) and a few "Arms" which extend to a head which is really a laser. These "arms" move to read and write on the disk. There are about 2 arms for eash disk(one for either side of the disk) so there could be as many as 4-16 heads or more in a single Hard drive. Therefore the disks have to spin. Hence the motor. If you spun it for 3 minutes you spun the disks faster than what the motor was spinning at(could have even been in the wrong direction) which would badly damage it.

Hope that enlighten you. I got all that info from taking apart a old 20Gb HDD. ^.^

thanks ... i learned my lesson dont be an idiot and shake and external hard drive.. I guess im goin to toss this one and get a new one
thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom