False Advertising on Hard-Drive Sizes

the exact vale you will get when formatted under windows is 93% of the advertised size , its always been that way always will just that windows measures the size differently to how the HDD manufacturer measures it

It's not just windows. Mac and Linux are exactly the same.

It's not just windows. Mac and Linux are exactly the same.

i meant the 93% figure is for windows it might be slightley different under different OS's due to different file systems and formatting techniques , although you do still loose a small percentager of the hard drive size under all os's i know

i meant the 93% figure is for windows it might be slightley different under different OS's due to different file systems and formatting techniques , although you do still loose a small percentager of the hard drive size under all os's i know

Unless it was some kind of RAW filesystem. But that woudnt really work... Since... Meh. I just wouldnt :D

It seems that there's a relatively balanced opinion. It makes more sense knowing that the measurements are taking differently, I'd probably say that the formatting taking off space is making a bigger influence but I'm not sure.

Well i just put a 1tb hardrive into a clients computer,And it came up as 930gb.Now being a 1tb hardrive that isnt much.It just all depends on how picky you are :D.

But Your BIOS All Takes a different measurement of your hardrive,According to it,I have 1000.2 GB,When windows says 930Gb.

because computer manufacturers go off of the 1 Gb= 1000 Mb but really its 1024 Mb = 1Gb so that's where the difference comes from.

Its normal and to be expected.

Back
Top Bottom