Bad timing for Nehalem

Shantei

In Runtime
Ack, this was the decision that stressed me a while ago and it's been brought to my attention once again. I'm so, so eager to buy a new R700 .. but I felt that I'd need to upgrade my CPU (in signature) and that means an upgrade in motherboard, effectively building a new system (buy new memory too as I'd sell the current computer). But is it really worth it? I mean, Nehalem is on its way .. but I SO want this new GPU (way too impatient).

I was thinking maybe I should install a minor upgrade until Nehalem is released .. perhaps the processor? There's nothing else that'd bottleneck the power, is there? Unfortunately the motherboard only supports up to a 5200+, which is so not cool.

What is the least expensive processor to buy that doesn't bottleneck this GPU? Or very very minimally.

An AMD 4800+ or even a 5000+ Would be fine as a temp upgrade.

Really? I didn't realise that the GPU wasn't so reliant on the other hardware. I'd have thought with an AMD maybe at least a 5600+... but that's great news!

Any other advice anyone?

Edit: Also, does anyone know what the best price for performance Nehalem processor will approximately be?

i know how you feel
wanting to get a new machine up and running with a powerhouse under the hood
so why dont you just wait
youve waited this long
why waste your money
do it right the first time

Well if you get the 4800,with decent cooling,you will be able to OC it too 3.0GHz.

But if you dont wish to overclock the CPU,Then yeah,get ATLEAST a 5200+.

Back
Top Bottom