Help me choose a laptop!

If you go to college then you can usually buy from your school and get discounts. This is something great that my dad taught me. He works at a research unit at WSU and he can get like 15% discounts from Dell.

Regardless, look at the cheapest Dell XPS, they're pretty light and you can't fit it for under 1k. Like J said, go take a look at HP's line. They'll let you customize it and everything. There's a lot of choices out there. I would also recommend looking at some Acers.

I've never really liked HP - and their prices don't seem too brilliant. Is there anything that has similar value to Dell?

If you want a business laptop, then Dell's latitudes are the way to go. I personally don't like dell. Im an HP guy, b/c you can get better specs for lower prices and i had a HP laptop for 3 years with no probs. HP is cheaper than dell almost all the time. Just remember, the smaller the laptop, the more expensive its going to get. I would personally get a dell latitude or an hp business laptop. I never go for toshiba or asus. I think its better to go with the name brands.

@Stiffler
I beg to differ - HP laptops are more expensive than Dell it seems. They might have better quality parts, but you don't really know until you try out the laptop. I'm looking at a $1,200 HP laptop that has no features that the Dell Inspiron 1525 for $700 doesn't, and all the specs are worse.

@Stiffler
I beg to differ - HP laptops are more expensive than Dell it seems. They might have better quality parts, but you don't really know until you try out the laptop. I'm looking at a $1,200 HP laptop that has no features that the Dell Inspiron 1525 for $700 doesn't, and all the specs are worse.

Are you referring to the HP notebooks I linked to?

I just bought a dell inspiron 1420 and I like it way better than the hp dv1000 i used to have. I just hope the dell does not break down on me 4 times like the hp did.

well i have one of the inspiron 1525 notebooks you have been looking at and it feels pretty solid i wouldnt reccomend anything from toshiba as they are not as quality as you would expect

i recommend A delll , although look at the XPS line beofre buying as there are sometimes some decent offers on there , especially if you wanna game cos although the X3100 can play cod4 it wont be able to play it very efficiently whereas the XPS line has dedicated graphics

also look at the vostro line and the lattitude line as they are the business laptops aimed at the business sector and so may be more suited to your needs

Are you referring to the HP notebooks I linked to?
No, just HP notebooks I found myself / their standard prices. Either way, you can see that HP has less features for more money.

@Muz, dcjose20 - Thanks for your tips. I had a look at the vostro and latitude line, they definitely look very strong and reliable however probably not the type of laptop I'm looking for. As much as my laptop will be used for business purposes too, I will of course be using my laptop for movies, games, etc. I found that the Studio 15 Laptop looks great, and by spending $1500 I get blu-ray, HDMI, dedicated graphics (3450), and lots of other features. So far it looks like it'd be that or the Inspiron I looked at originally.

-Rhys

Back
Top Bottom