Computer Freezing + Monitor Blacking Out

same thing happened to my friends geforce fx 5200 video card which we found out is dying, but not saying this is ur problem but seems close to my friends problem

his WoW would freeze every 10 seconds and the FPS would go from a good soild 40 to 1 or 2 fps.

hmm ok. here is the plan i am thinking of doing, let me know what you think.

i get the computer and try to run it without a video card in it. if that works fine, i buy a new video card and try doing warcraft with that.

if i take out the video card and it still doesn't work, it is probably the power supply. what exactly do i do if this is the case?

well i got the computer. it's here with me now
i tried a new video card in it and it didn't work. the computer won't turn on at all.

when i do go to turn it on a couple lights flash, but not all of them. overall it is very quiet.

this does make it seem like it's the power supply, right?
what should i do in this case? can i just drive to my local best buy, buy one and hook it into the computer? is there a certain kind to get? is it very tricky to install it? maybe it's just time to get a new computer?

i took the power supply out of the computer.
it was an NPS 250KB B

i am going to try to find a new power supply for it over the internet. i am hoping to get one around 400 watts

the power supply i'm thinking of buying is this one
http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/460-watt-power-supply-FSP460-60GLC.php

i'm afraid to shop around too much because i'm worried they won't fit or won't have the right plugs.
the website that sells that one navigated me to either that one or a 250 watt one based on my computer specifications, so assuming this is the problem, this is a power supply that will work. it is over powered and will cost me $100, but i see no better option.

does anyone know of a better place to get one?

www.newegg.com OR www.ebay.com, i picked up a 450watt PSU for 20 bucks with shipping and it works great on my system, sry for takin so long to reply haha dont go spending alot of money on that because if its not the problem then your screwed, in my case it was the motherboard, psu and cpu hahah. buy a psu from one of those 2 sites and then see if it works or not, if not send me a pm

the power supply i'm thinking of buying is this one
http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/460-watt-power-supply-FSP460-60GLC.php

i'm afraid to shop around too much because i'm worried they won't fit or won't have the right plugs.
the website that sells that one navigated me to either that one or a 250 watt one based on my computer specifications, so assuming this is the problem, this is a power supply that will work. it is over powered and will cost me $100, but i see no better option.

does anyone know of a better place to get one?

wow, $100 (with shipping) for that psu...? wow, just wow, 250w for $100...?

I would get this psu, Antec is a good, reliable brand and it has a PCIe connector just in case you ever decide to put a decent video card in there for her, one that requires a PCIe 6 pin connector...

Antec

380w may not seem like a lot, but you're really not running much in that system so that psu should be fine...

Back
Top Bottom