Help me choose a laptop!

RhysAndrews

In Runtime
Hey guys!
I'm saving up to buy a laptop - mainly for my business, so everything is portable and accessible. Guess it's a good reason why anyone would want a laptop.

Only issue is, I don't want to spend any more than $1,000. Or at least, I want to avoid doing so. Now, my thoughts currently are that Dell has the best value, and Toshiba and Asus have the best quality laptops. I have found a great deal at Dell, for $700 I get 2.00 Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667mhz RAM, 160GB SATA HDD, Intel X3100, DVD Burner, and all the basic laptop gear (wireless, bluetooth, etc). I personally hate Dell, and I'm sure you can relate to me there - but this is a pretty convincing deal (Inspiron 1525).

Do you guys have any suggestions? I'd like to use the laptop for basic activities, and perhaps a little bit of gaming (but it appears that X3100 can handle games like COD4 fairly well, so anything at or better than X3100 I'm happy with).

Oh, and having little experience with laptops, I'm just wondering if reformatting laptops work exactly the same as with desktop PCs? I mean, if I reformatted the Inspiron 1525 and installed XP Pro, would I have any issues?

Thankyou!
-Rhys Andrews

If you're using this notebook for your business, I highly suggest you check out the Lenovo Thinkpad R and T line.

While the Lenovo laptops look cool and are probably great quality, they're all too expensive too and without many advantages over this Dell deal. But thankyou

Oh, and having little experience with laptops, I'm just wondering if reformatting laptops work exactly the same as with desktop PCs?
No difference at all.

While the Lenovo laptops look cool and are probably great quality, they're all too expensive too and without many advantages over this Dell deal. But thankyou

This is a consumer notebook. The Lenovo Thinkpad line was designed specifically for business use.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...-category-id=8FA114A7D9FF4F38AE8E19B36EC665A7

Just noticed that. In the future, please don't edit your posts. Just reply with a new one.

This makes it much easier to read.

I didn't modify anything to do with the Dell laptop - I just edited my post to add the last sentence regarding the reformatting of laptops.

-Rhys

i used to hate dell, but as long as you dont go for the cheaper ones then i highly recommend them :)
also google around for the 10% discount codes ;)

All of the above are great suggestions, especially dude_se's idea to google for discount codes.
I have a Toshiba 13.3" u405-2826 that came with Vista Business (I upgraded to Ultimate). Games decently, but I absolutely love it for my work. 4lbs. sleek and I was able to get it at Best Buy for $749.00.

Back
Top Bottom