New here and need new computer!!

Hello!!

I am new here, found this forum through google and just wanted to say hi!!

I've been after a new computer for a while now, and I used to know all about computers but now so many new things have come out that I've just fallen behind on what to get and what not to get etc.!

So was wondering if one of you computer guru's could recommend what sort of parts I should buy. I've been looking on ebuyer.com but the choice is just overwhelming. Here's what I need-

A quad core processor
At least 1000GB of hardrive storage
Not sure whether to go for 2gb or 4gb of ram?
A decent graphics card for watching dvd's etc on (may want to connect to big TV

The pc won't be used for gaming, but I do need it to be fast and up to date. It would be great if somebody could compile a list of parts to get me started and then at least I have an idea of what kind of stuff I should get!! Thanks:)

first of all, we need to know whats your budget.
and second, what so you prefer? IE Intel or AMD, nVidia or ATI.

Teny & Superworms: *cough* You're not gurus *cough*

JK! You guys are cool, just one thing Superworms, no need to restate what's been stated.

@OP: Although out of hand, I would like to suggest you use WinXP. I assume this will be a media PC correct? Now, I don't know much about Vista, other than it looks pretty cool, but I think XP would suit your needs. To me, it looks simpler than Vista. With this said, you can get 2GB of RAM, which should be enough, and buy a Q6600 (Quad-core clocked @ 2.4GHz). For the decent graphics card, you could use a 8800GT. It's still pretty high-end and new-egg is having a sale on it =p.

Although out of hand, I would like to suggest you use WinXP. I assume this will be a media PC correct? Now, I don't know much about Vista, other than it looks pretty cool, but I think XP would suit your needs.
Windows XP is no longer sold to the general public.

You're better off buying the newest version of Windows for both security and compatibility reasons. Manufactures are slowly dropping support for Windows XP. Windows Vista also has stronger multimedia features that are integrated with the rest of the system.

Wow! Already? I thought that was going to happen in the next few weeks. I must treasure my XP CD then. Anyway to create a backup? Just in case you know.

Windows XP is no longer sold to the general public.

You're better off buying the newest version of Windows for both security and compatibility reasons. Manufactures are slowly dropping support for Windows XP. Windows Vista also has stronger multimedia features that are integrated with the rest of the system.

really...? wow, it's a good thing the "general public" never buys things on sites like Newegg or TigerDirect...

Home, Pro, or MCE

Back
Top Bottom