First Time computer builder

The only real advantage of having two optical drives is that you can "burn on the fly" meaning you can directly copy a CD/DVD in one drive to the other without having to make an image of the original CD/DVD first. Saves quite a bit of time.

Just grab another 500GB Maxtor drive like the one you already selected.

ah, i see.
What i meant about the RAM is that the speeds of the ram that you are going to get (533 MHZ) and the one that comes with the mobo/cpu (800 MHZ) are different.
So when you get them, the one that comes with with mobo/cpu will have their speed be lowered to 533, and i think theres a small noticeable difference between going from 533 mhz to 800 mhz.
If you plan on using the 4gb to be in dual channel, i dont think its possible due to the speed difference. From what people tell me, dual channel needs RAM to be in the same speed and Timings, so its best to have the same RAM and bought at the same time.
I looked at the RAM again, and it seems that the timing is different which means dual channel will not work. From what i experienced, Dual Channel Ram goes faster than Single Channel Ram.
Thats why i posted the link of the RAM thats the same as the one the comes with the mobo/cpu.

sorry if this doesnt make any sense

it doesn't matter if all the RAM is the same, as long as each set is the same it'll run in dual channel as long as he pairs each set up on the same channel on the motherboard, usually motherboards differentiate the channels by color but his board is different (or at least the manual says it is), as long as he puts each DDR2 set on different colors they'll run in dual channel (OCZ set in 1 black and 1 yellow and the other set in 1 black and 1 yellow), and yes, the 800mhz RAM will clock down to the 533mhz RAM's speed, that is always the rule, RAM will only run as fast as the slowest component...

even though it's a SLi motherboard, it isn't a true SLi because if there are two cards installed, each will only run at x8 instead of x16, so one beefy card would be the best route to go, a 4870 or 9800GX2 can be had for close to the price of two 9800GTXs, and if he does decide to go SLi, he may want to up the total wattage on the psu just to be safe...

So... my build is good? And I should work.

looks good Mate! i would just make one recommendation, if ofcourse you have the money, i would settle for the Antec 900 or Antec 1200 case. they are massive cases and the quality is amazing!

Antec 900
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021&Tpk=antec+900

Antec 1200
http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=016979&cid=CS.220

they also leave a lot of room for upgrading. Lets say you will want to run SLI one day.

Otherwise you're build looks good :)

Also my mate has same mobo as me because he is starting his own build so when he gets his CPU I think I'll try it on my build and if it works fine I know my CPU is faulty

Oops sorry wrong thread

Back
Top Bottom