Radeon HD 4870 X2 released...

Sure its a benchmark, but it's not the only benchmark nor the greatest benchmark.

You're saying because a cheaper card beats it in one game, that it's not worth it?

:p
Yep. At a predicted $550USD, for anything but an almost unlimited budget, you'd be better off spending the money on other components. If you can spend thousands of dollars on your computer, it's an awesome card, and you should definitely get one (or two). If not though, spend it on a better processor, RAM, etc.

Sure, it is a great benchmark. But just because an Nvidia card beat it in Crysis, it still gets beaten in other games. You can't just use one benchmark to generalize the performance of a card.

Sure, it is a great benchmark. But just because an Nvidia card beat it in Crysis, it still gets beaten in other games. You can't just use one benchmark to generalize the performance of a card.
That's true. But all I'm saying is overall, for most systems, this card isn't worth it. You just can't justify paying $550 for a card unless you have an insane budget.

Yeah, I agree with that. I can't see myself ever spending over $300 on a single component for my computer.

That's true. But all I'm saying is overall, for most systems, this card isn't worth it. You just can't justify paying $550 for a card unless you have an insane budget.

I think the point of selling a card at a $550 price tag is for people with high budgets. Obviously there's no point of getting this card if you're running a Celeron processor and 128MB of RAM; not that it even would run.

The 4870x2 is probably going to sell for less than $550 dollars anyway, as Nvidia lowered their prices. The point is that it compares well to the 280, with probably a similar price point at release.

Needless to say, the card isn't even out yet, the drivers aren't matured at all, and we have only a tiny general idea of what the actual performance with the latest drivers will be at launch.

Anyway, no harm done :p

Back
Top Bottom