Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008, 10:20 PM   #24
DJ-CHRIS
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: U.S. border agents given power to sieze travellers' laptops...

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
just gonna inconvinience yourself there cos they will send it off to somehwere to get it unencrypted and if it cant be then i dunno you prolly wont be getting it back
I'd recommend reading up more about encryption, as I mentioned there are many many types of publicly available encryption that are unbreakable by today's standards, with the most common being AES-256, which I also must mention is approved for US government for protection of the highest security level (top secret), among being used by a great deal of other country's.

If the US government trusts a certain type of encryption for their top secret data, you can be assured that it's virtually unbreakable by today's standards.

I'm just discussing what happens if a person had an encrypted laptop, many businesses are starting to use hard drive encryption techniques to properly secure their data (and it's about time). If a person chooses to not decrypt a properly encrypted computer, they are screwed in their search. I wouldn't let just any random noob at a boarder search my laptop, that's for sure.