Installing memory?

darkserpant

In Runtime
I am in the process of upgrading to a new desktop. I am planning on buying a HP Pavilion a6530f. It has 4 gb of memory and says it can be expanded to 8 gb. My desktop I am replacing it with has 2 gb of memory in it. I was hoping to be able to put those 2 gb in my new pc. For a total of 6 gb of memory. Can somebody please tell me if my old memory will fit into the new pc? What information do you need? One more thing this new pc has a triple core processor. Are these processors any good. Thanks

You have to figure out the pin count of the memory. I just built a new PC and it called for a 240pin memory stick. My old sticks wouldn't fit in my new PC.

If they are the same pin count, then yes, you can take your two old memory sticks and put them into your new PC for 6GB of ram.

Thanks for the answer. How do I find out the pin count on this new pc? I have my old ones in front of me and I guess I can count them but for the new pc how could I find that out?

It may tell you on the site you ordered it from. If not, you may be able to call and ask.

Can you post the link to the PC you're buying?

run CPU-Z, and you will know what ram you have
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
the link you posted have DDR2 ram.
if you think about it, most mobo have the most of 4gb, and the computer might have 4 x 1gb ram, or if it has 2 slots, then 2 x 2gb ram.
I barely seen any factory built computer leave any space for another stick or 2 of ram unless it has like 1gb. So i dont know if you can add your 2gb of ram.
plus 4gb is enough, its not effective unless you have an x64.
The only way to be able to use up over 4gb is mainly if you made it a server, and the processor might bottleneck the 6gb and limit the amount.

Back
Top Bottom