Some simple questions I need answered

Believe it or not I've never had to add a fan to a case. So I'm wondering how do I go about mounting a fan? Say I want to put an 80mm on the bottom of the case. Do I drill a hole or what? My case only has 1 4-pin slot for fans, at least that's all I see, how do I go about adding more fans?

Also, I just took the heatsink out of the processor. It wouldn't come off so I held the motherboard down and pulled a little harder. This shouldn't have affected the processor right? Also, there's some leftover thermal paste on it. How do I go about cleaning this off. I don't plan on using that heatsink anymore, I'm going to order a new one with other parts for this case.

If any more questions come up I'll be sure to ask.

there are holes you buy the size fan tat fits those holes look at specs for case and you may need to but a molex to 3/4 pin adapter, i have a power strip that has one molex to 6 3 pins slots its great if your going to add a lot of fans. yeah i would wait till i get the new haeatsink to use whats left, or you can order more and reapply what you have now.

So I'm wondering how do I go about mounting a fan? Say I want to put an 80mm on the bottom of the case. Do I drill a hole or what? My case only has 1 4-pin slot for fans, at least that's all I see, how do I go about adding more fans?
Your case will have mounting holes for fans. All you need is four screws. You could mod the case to add extra fans though...
The 4 pin connector on your mobo is for the CPU fan, so it's RPM can be monitored and it's speed controlled.
Like Ace777 said, if you have any fans that require 3 pin connections, you'll need some 3 pin to molex adaptors.
Also, I just took the heatsink out of the processor. It wouldn't come off so I held the motherboard down and pulled a little harder. This shouldn't have affected the processor right? Also, there's some leftover thermal paste on it. How do I go about cleaning this off. I don't plan on using that heatsink anymore, I'm going to order a new one with other parts for this case.
It'll be fine, I'm sure. To remove the TIM, you'll need some isopropyl alcohol and some Q-tips/paper towels etc.

Well...I'm not really going to OC, I don't think I can. Can I just add a fan on top of the heatsink I have? I'll upload some pics soon.

Heatsink:
DSC06391.jpg

Motherboard (for fans):
DSC06387.jpg

DSC06390.jpg

I'll get some pics of the case in a sec. It has screwholes in the front for a 120 and an 80 if I'm not mistaken. Same with the back. So I'm wondering if I could get a PCI fan controller or something to get another fan going on the back and one on the CPU and hopefully, the HD3850 comes with a cooler too.

edit: I just noticed...I don't think my RAM is in Dual Channel lol.

edit2: More pics for mounting fans.
DSC06393.jpg

DSC06392.jpg

You really wont need a fan controller to install a rear fan. Most have a molex power connector that runs right off the power supply. These are nice: Antec 120mm Case Fan. It has a three speed switch to adjust the fan speed to your liking. They also come with mounting screws.

As for your heatsink, you can mount a small fan on it. You can run the mounting screws down between the fins of the heatsink. Something like this will work: EVERCOOL AL6010 60mm Case Fan

You would mount an exhaust fan on the 4th picture and an inlet fan on the 5th picture, in this thread.

And both fixtures will accept two fan sizes. 80mm & 100mm i'm guessing. And you can use two identical fans for inlet and exhaust. You just have to make sure they are mounted the correct way round so that the exhaust fan is sucking out hot air out the back and the inlet fan is sucking in air from the front.

The motherboard seems to have one more 3 pin connector, near the PCI-E connector, for an additional fan. So the choice is yours. You can either run both fans from the Molex or have the exhaust fan from the 3 pin on the Mobo and the inlet fan from a Molex.

Well, I'll be using an Antec PSU that Atomic Rooster recommended on the other thread. The fan that came with the case (mounted as inlet) is a 120mm fan. So here's what I'm thinking about doing: I'll buy EVERCOOL fan Atomic suggested (will a different 60mm work? I can measure the heatsink if you guys want) and I'll buy 2 120mm fans that can be powered by a molex.

Yea, just about any fan that will fit on that heatsink will work. I was using 60mm as a starting point. You should measure it to make sure. When buying a fan for the heatsink, it would be best to find one with a low profile such as 25mm or less so that it will be easier to mount. You'll probably have to make a trip to your local hardware store to find some sheetmetal or wood screws that will reach from the top of the fan down into the heatsink a small ways.

Yeah, the measurement on the fans are on the sides not the diagonal right? I just need to double check this. One more thing. I'm a bit confused on how I'd mount it on the heatsink. Just drop a screw between the fins and not really screw it? This would prevent forward movement, but it could still slide sideways...

Yes, I believe you measure the sides.

You would run a screw down through the fan mounting holes and screw it into the heatsink fins. I've done this before with old video cards that had only heatsinks on them. In fact, it was a common way of attaching fans to heatsinks some years ago.

Back
Top Bottom