Slow Transfer Speed!

Zer0Cool

Fully Optimized
Hello,

I am trying to transfer about 450G from my external (WD SE16 WD5000KS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s) HDD to the (WD Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s) HDD. I am using a firewire (IEEE 1394) cable to do the transfer, the problem that I'm having is the transfer speed. I start of with like 30mb/s and then with it 10min it drops to like 18mb/s (it might even go lower havent test it longer) I have checked the jumpers on both hdd, there are none. is there a way to boost the transfer speed? I'm using Windows Vista 64bit & my PC is in my sig.

Thanks

Well, try and close all other programs whilst your doing the transfer... I guess you could try it in safe mode.. that is if the firewire drivers would be loaded...

I have a fast pc so closing my apps woudnt do anything... but I still tryed that with no luck. Havent tryed the safemod et. Someone also told me that 15MB/s - 20MB/s with Firewire is the speed that I will get, so who knows maybe everything is fine. Il just let it copy overnight.

Cheers

I have a fast pc so closing my apps woudnt do anything... but I still tryed that with no luck. Havent tryed the safemod et. Someone also told me that 15MB/s - 20MB/s with Firewire is the speed that I will get, so who knows maybe everything is fine. Il just let it copy overnight.

Cheers

Ah yeah, sorry about that. How is your CPU? I am installing a Q9550 on Tuesday - Is the Retail Heatsync/Fan any good?

Ah yeah, sorry about that. How is your CPU? I am installing a Q9550 on Tuesday - Is the Retail Heatsync/Fan any good?

If you dont intend to OC the retail HS will do you just fine.

I finished the transfer overnight. The speed averaged about 17mb/s

I use terracopy. It maintains a steady speed reguardless of the amout of data you're moving. I copied off my external drive which had 37 out of 80 gigs used to my 320 gig secondary drive in my core2duo rig in about 45 minutes. I was using usb 2.0 to connect the external drive to the system.

http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.php

I tryed using terracopy, and it was working good. I was getting about 28mb/s by then after about 80GB gat transfered it crashed.

Back
Top Bottom