Got free parts, want upgrade

So I'm pretty happy because I have recently aqcuired half a computer for free. I am going to sell this Dell I have, I got a good offer ($200 no monitor with keyboard, mouse, speakers). I might have to go $150 but at this point I'm not too worried. Anyways, the computer I got is Gateway GT5032. The specs are linked here

Unfortunately, some pieces are missing, they are the following:
-HDD
-PSU
-Video Card
-1 DVD Drive (The fancy one)
-OS (I have one I can install though)

From my current Dell, I'll be taking a network card to add on this one.

What I'd like to know from you is whether the case is ATX or MATX. I'd also like you to link me a good PSU that is compatible with this system. It has to have PCI-E x16 support. I am willing to spend the full $200 on an HDD, PSU, and Video Card. I also need cables. The SATA cable. I also am interested in a fan controller so I can get more fans in. I'm really happy because this allows me to put off a new build for a while so I can save good money.

If possible, I'd like a modular PSU. The HDD doesn't need to be big, 80+ will be fine. Also, for the video card, doesn't have to be something amazing as I'm going to build a rig later on as most of you know. So I guess in reality, I want best bang for the buck, saving as much as possible, but if necessary I don't mind spending the whole $200.

Thank you for your time.

okay i can help you out there
your best choice is to go with this:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6...ontroller_-_Black_ULT40061.html?tl=g34c17s284
and get 4 fans that connect by 3 pins
they will connect directly to the contoller linked above
that one is for a 3.5" bay
you can even look at some for 5.25" bay
its all up to you
personally i like this 80mm fan:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7...mm_x_25mm_PWM_Fan_AF8025PWM.html?tl=g36c15s58
its cheap
and its a good fan

personally, I wouldn't go with that 3850, I'd get a 9600GT, some can be had for a little over $100 now and end up being less than $100 after MIR...

Some bad news here: I was going to sell the computer to one of my friend's little brother, but I was talking to my friend today and he said it can't be done. I know a good friend who needs just a tower with similar specs, he'll be back Monday from Atlanta. If that doesn't work, one of my other buddies going to add XP Pro, Photoshop, Nero, etc to help sell.

Ok. Newegg is having a "sale". I can get an EVGA 8800GT along with an OCZ StealthXStream 600W for $160 after MIR (GPU 120, PSU 40). Expires on the 11th, is this a good upgrade? I'm not quite sure if the 8800GT outperforms the 9600GT. I've never gotten that quite straight.

id get a 9600 gso for 80 oc it by 100 mhz and it will otdo both of them.

Back
Top Bottom