Curiously Complex RAID question

Let me get this straight because I might do this thing:

Raid 0 - 2 HDDs working together to increase speed
Raid 0+1 - 2HDDS working together to increase speed along with 2HDD working together. When you write data to the Raid 0, you're simultaneously writing data to the raid 1, this way you backup everything as you go.
Raid 5 - Same thing as raid 0+1, but you have only 1 HDD being the backup?

So let me ask you this: Wouldn't it also be fine if I installed everything on Raid 0, but I had all my files (texts, movies, music, etc) saved on a separate HDD? This way I wouldn't "wasting" space by saving doubles of everything.

edit: Too many RAIDs!!! I was reading Wiki and it lost me. But I have to go now. Later.

RAID 0 is two drives that splits the data to the bit level. If you keep a backup of your data onto a non-RAID drive, you're fine. RAID 1 is not performent at all. It's slow as crap. It's saving a double of everything, but at least, if your OS screws up, due to a drive that failed, the second drive will still boot.

RAID 2 is more dangerous. It take the bit level and splits that bit into two smaller bits. RAID 2 is dead BTW.

Let me get this straight because I might do this thing:

Raid 0 - 2 HDDs working together to increase speed
Raid 0+1 - 2HDDS working together to increase speed along with 2HDD working together. When you write data to the Raid 0, you're simultaneously writing data to the raid 1, this way you backup everything as you go.
Raid 5 - Same thing as raid 0+1, but you have only 1 HDD being the backup?

So let me ask you this: Wouldn't it also be fine if I installed everything on Raid 0, but I had all my files (texts, movies, music, etc) saved on a separate HDD? This way I wouldn't "wasting" space by saving doubles of everything.
if i were you i'd do what i did on my setup. run raid 0 on your OS drive and get a large seperate drive for your media/pron etc. i run a RAID 0 with 2x 74gb raptors as my OS drive and i have a 1tb and a 750gb storage drive.

RAID 0 is two drives that splits the data to the bit level. If you keep a backup of your data onto a non-RAID drive, you're fine. RAID 1 is not performent at all. It's slow as crap. It's saving a double of everything, but at least, if your OS screws up, due to a drive that failed, the second drive will still boot.

RAID 2 is more dangerous. It take the bit level and splits that bit into two smaller bits. RAID 2 is dead BTW.

RAID 1 is not that slow. And it will provide data protection for all your files.

I have a RAID 1 array for my files and i've just set up a RAID 0. I will install all my programs on the RAID 0 for increased access speeds and i'll keep my RAID 1 for my files.

With 4 HD's i'd think about the same kinda set up. And as long as you follow the instructions it's easy to get going.

Honestly, I've thought about it. My hardware RAID can also split. I could have half of a drive in RAID 0 and the other half in RAID 1. I'd use RAID 1 for the OS, RAID 0 for applications, RAID 5 for data for the 2x250 and the rest of the 2x160. Then, the rest goes in a JBOD config...or RAID 0 if JBOD is not present.

Back
Top Bottom