Do you consider this cheating? read the post before voting

So I'm almost done reading this book for the advanced English class I'm taking next year. Because I have a lot of History homework to do I've decided to "speed" things up a bit. What I have done is, read the book with a little less concentration and dedication to take the full meaning of events so I can go faster about finishing it. Then I have gone to spark notes and I have read it to see whether I understood the book completely. Then I compared my analysis to their analysis. Now that I'm almost done, I can start answering some the the essays. The thing is, that if I hadn't read Spark Notes there would be some essays that I would have no clue how to answer. This is some what affecting my conscience as it makes me think I'm cheating and that I don't deserve to be in this class. And ultimately, not being able to get into an advanced English class in high school means I wouldn't be able to get into a top college like I want to. So, I'd like to know if you guys consider this cheating or just getting some other input.

edit: May sound dumb to you, but getting into a good college is the only way I'll be able to advance in life as I have, literally, no other talent.

I wouldn't really consider it cheating more corner cutting, however it is not a good idea to get into a habit of corner cutting too much, as you don't tend to learn as much.

Yeah, I do realize that. I mean if I had taken the time to read this thoroughly I'm sure I could have picked up on better writing skills and vocabulary. I though it was going to be an easy read, so what I did was wait until July 25th to start. My history teacher told me that I had to start on the history homework at the beginning of August, since we have a test on the 3rd day he thought this would be best. So I figured I could finish the book before that. But I was wrong. I guess it's a life lesson. Fortunately, the career field I'd like to go into doesn't require much writing or reading as some others (such as law).

Even though the career field you'd like to go into "doesn't require much writing or reading", you shouldn't skimp on these skills. Getting into a "top college" requires much more than just good grades.

It is. I was reading up on some that I want to apply to. They pretty much look at how you are as a person. They want people who are unique and capable of great things. That kinda got me excited because being Brazilian and being able to learn "Latin" languages and knowing other cultures is really a + on the unique side. Although grades may not be all, they matter. I know they take into account how tough your classes are and how much you push yourself, so I hope that if my grades fall next year because of all the college-level classes I'm taking, they can still see past that. Only thing that worries me is that I'm underestimating how they rate you. I do my best in school and all, but I don't read much at home. That's my only fault according to my dad. I'm very slow to pick up on news because of that lack in reading. I try to change that, but it's hard. There are times where I will sit and read, but that's only when my motivation is renewed by one of my dad's lectures. My mom is also always saying that I need to read more. One day, she said (she's somewhat religious) that "God gives wings to those who can't fly". And that's gotten me worrying...

I mean...I've always been dreaming about going to top schools. It would be the achievement of my life. But, I'll really see where I'm at once these classes start. Then I'll know if I need to pick up the pace. So for now, I'm just trying to do my best to have a good start in them. Mostly in AP History because it is an AP class where as English is just listed as Advanced.

Hopefully I've been able to direct your eyes so they can see where I'm coming from and where I plan to take this.

edit: For those of you who said this was cheating: Do you see a way of undoing the damage? I do feel bad about using Spark Notes (first time ever), but frankly, I think all that it has done is sped up my conclusions about the book. For one of the essays it only cleared what a cloudy thought was in my head. For another, it directed me to the right path. The question asked about a scene in the book where it could have to interpretations, however, the question didn't thoroughly specify what part in the scene. I couldn't find any part in the scene that hinted at double-meaning. Only after I read Spark Notes I realized that it was not the actual scene that the essay was demanding my inspection and stance, but rather the outcome of the scene. Or at least that is how I think about all this. It could easily be my corrupted conscience trying to relieve itself of the error made. Regardless, I'd like to know if this is something can create problems for me in the future or just a warning, telling me that in order to successfully achieve my goals I must work harder yet and not cut any corners.

And yes, I do realize I'm making a big deal out of this, yet I can't help but feel how this could be problematic in the future. Having done it once, "it won't be so bad to do it again".

It's not cheating because literature class is BS, it's essentially "regurgitating your teachers opinions about symbolism 101."

If you use the notes as an aid to help you understand what the drug-addled writer was trying to convey, it's an educational assistance tool.

But FYI I always read the books first and go back with notes for a better understanding.

Back
Top Bottom