Explorer freezing up.

Austinn1

Daemon Poster
Ok, this is starting to annoy me. I dunno what causes this. Explorer keeps freezing up. And if I out my cursor over the task bar it just shows a spinning circle. Then it'll pop up saying Explorer is not responding. And I can restart it. It doesnt seem to happen on certain times. When I just turned the pc on, right as it was loading things up, it froze, So i Cltrl+alt+ delete, went to task manager, and restarted explorer, hasnt happened again yet. It doesnt always do it on start up.
Ive ran Adaware a million times, removed everything. Ran Virus scan, Downloaded Spybot search and destroy, removed all that. And then booted in safe mode doing it all over again. Same problem. I havent installed any new programs.

Toshiba Satellitt A135-S2276
Windows Vista 32 bit SP1.
Intel Pentium Dual Core, 512 mb ram.

I would suggest your problems would start here.

The ram?
Ive been thinking about upgrading it. the mb will support up to 2 gb. Should i upgrade it to the full 2 gig's? Its only $21 for 1 gig of ram.
Also : When i bring up task manager and click on the Performance tab, it shows, with just IE running, than im using 325 mb of ram, thats about 80%. Also, says im running 58 processes. CPU is jumping between 5% and 13%.
Could this be happening because of lack of memory? If so, I feel pretty dumb.

You don't have Ultimate obviously, it used to use 600MB of memory just idling last time I installed it iirc (though that was RTM).

At that price I would put the whole 2GB of memory in.

The cpu usage will be background tasks like indexing etc, the processes you could probably cut back a few of, depends what they are.

Never thought of that. Might give it a try. Any thoughts at to why this is happening? This porblem happening doesnt bother me as much as no knowing why its happening

I can't really say why it is having that problem, but often times it is something like a program you installed changed something it didn't like.

Back
Top Bottom