Server Build:- Any advice?

Meh. The build you listed is defintly beastly. I just wondered why you hadn't. Honestly I would have to research why using a xeon would be better.

EDIT: Well, after looking it up, the main difference is the ability to use ECC or FB RAM instead of DDR2 or 3. In your case it's defiantly not needed, that is for beefy stuff.

Yeah, If was replacing a server farm with ONE server, I would proberbly get a Xeon ;)

I just wanna make sure I know this right before I throw something out there.

You are using Windows Home server for this (good choice), but do you plan on using it to backup the computers or just for for the media sharing/storing?

At any rate I would grab a 80 gig drive minimum to add for the actual OS install so you can take full advantage of both drives when you duplicate the folders. If they are going to do backing up on the server I would grab at least a 250gig for the OS so the computer backups don't start to filter into the other drives. If that's not a concern of yours though, you can choose not to grad a third drive.

Very true. Thanks for that. I will be doing media streaming as well as backing up. Should I get a raptor?

OK, I'm gonna asume you know i'm talking about the OS Drive ;)

Yup. i do, that's where I cache my vids. Second hard drive is the one that has the backups on it for me (or so sever has told me).

Back
Top Bottom