Steam requires Defrag?

small as in comparison wiith a modern hard drive.

It doesn't matter how big the hard drive is, fragmented is fragmented. Do you really understand what that means?

It means when you want to load program, the hard drive is going back and fourth all over the place, wasting time, rather than reading it all in the same area which is faster, and more efficient. Thats the point of a disk defragmenter.

Steam uses it's own file system for it's game files (those .gcf files you see in the 'SteamApps' directory) so it's not surprising that valve added a method to optimize them.

I agree with Mike. 2.8GB is still 2.8GB regardless if it's on a 20GB drive or a 1TB drive. The defragmenter has never required I run it, though. The only difference in drive size is that in your usual scenario, files will not get fragmented as quickly on a larger drive, but this is within a file, so it does not matter what size hardrive you have.

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS264032+14-May-2008+MW20080514

For all computers, defragmentation is essential.
The truth of the matter is that file fragmentation occurs with all operating
systems on all computers everywhere -- and affects the performance of each
and every one -- so the notion that "sometimes defragmentation is not needed" is
actually ill-founded.
I trust Reuters more than PC World.

Yeah. :rolleyes:

Let me guess, you've never heard of Reuters?

thats like asking someone if they've heard of money. ok thats extreme. but w/e

i dont really care if people give reuters nice reputation for being pure and straight from AP or direct without tampering crap. writers still have to write the article and the writers are human so it turns out to be biased anyway.

Back
Top Bottom