Harddrive...buzzing/vibrating?

*snip*
1) E8400 is running a little bit to hot than normal, idling at 50 degrees according to bios.
*snip

The BIOS actually stresses your CPU. About 70 percent if I remember correctly. 50C at that load is actually a pretty good temp.

Get Everest or something and take a look at your temps with it.

I've not had personal experience with your model mobo, but after looking at ASUS's site on the P5Q, I see there are several SATA ports with 2 unique ones (orange & white). I'm not sure but I'd check your manual to confirm if your primary hard drive needs to be in either the orange or white port ... or one of the maroon ones. There's a reason for the colors ... usually to indicate ports for RAID. Then I'd boot into BIOS and ensure the SATA settings are what's necessary for booting/recognizing a hard drive.

Failing that, do you have a spare non-7200.11 SATA drive to see if it can be recognized? There might be a problem with .11 drives (BIOS update related). I'd check on ASUS's site for a BIOS update for your board ... especially if this is a new build. Typically boards don't come with the latest BIOS updates.

how do I update the bios if i don't have access to floppy? Cause that seems to be the only wait to update the bios at this point, bootable floppies

It only detects hard drives. If your drive is connected properly and powered up, it should have found it. From the sounds of it, your drive be dead. Time for an RMA if it's still under warranty.

couldn't have said it any better...sounds like ur drive is dieing on u...or is dead already...time to get a new one...return or exchange :)

Yea. If you get another one and it still gives your the same thing, then I would do what CrossCech suggested. Consider trying a BIOS upgrade and checking motherboard manual.

The BIOS actually stresses your CPU. About 70 percent if I remember correctly. 50C at that load is actually a pretty good temp.

Get Everest or something and take a look at your temps with it.

is that true?
then dam my temps really good then
i was getting 46 in the bios after leaving it for like 15 min
core temp says 40 when surfing web/itunes
and 52 max for crysis/bioshock

okay; so the bios detects the harddrive now. Guess it was a faulty drive. Now I have to wait for my vista disc. My old 2005 Media centre gives me a blue screen saying it had to stop do to an error. I guess it's to old to support the new parts I have. So i'll wait till vista comes.

Back
Top Bottom