Dell Power Supply Broken

Tempest

Baseband Member
Model #: PS-5161-1D1S

This is for a Dell computer. My brother in law fried this one somehow and wants a new one. The Dell company sells them for $119.00 - Seems high to me for a powersupply so I'm guessing this is just a Dell price tag. I don't know much about power supplies and was hoping someone could tell me where to look for a cheaper one that would fit just fine.

Thanks

This is for a laptop?

If so, you have to disable your battery detector, because dell has a lovely feature where the laptop will not charge if it is not using a Dell Certified PS..

I am trying to remember how to do so.

As far as getting a new one, you can buy one from anywhere; it doesn't have to be Dell Certified.

Oh I see this is for an actual PSU for a desktop...

Well, looking at it

http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/images/160-Watt-Dell-Power-Supply-PS-5161-7D.gif

It is much differently shaped than any of the normal sized PSU's so you might have to get the Dell one...I'm not sure, soz :p

Yeah toole, it's for a desktop. I can't see anything that tells me if its ATX or whatever, size specs, nothing. Just another Dell thing that is ticking me off. If he gets a mishaped one, can he just mount it differently ? Even duct tape it right ?

I wouldn't suggest duct tape.. ;)

And although I haven't done a lot of extensive case modding, I don't see too much of an issue with mounting a PSU that isn't meant for the case etc

What desktop model is it?

I've owned a couple Dells..mainly laptops...

I HATE DELL !

I hate Dell as well. I'll get the specs tonight when I get to see the computer myself.

I don't know much about powersupplies though. Can I get away with using a different type ?

Can I get away with using a different type ?

I'd like someone else to butt in on this, before I give you a definite answer, but I would imagine you shouldn't have an issue using a different PSU, just make sure you get the same power connex and what not.

Imo, wait for some more posts (this afternoon) and get that model name tonight.

okay, thanks toole. Not in a rush with this anyways, just poking around for what kind of options we have.

The problem is with companies such as Dell, Gateway, and HP; Is that switching out any part for a 3rd party part will make the computer not work. But if your brother (i think that who where talking about) needs a new one it must not be that powerfull. So you could go buy one and try and if it doesn't work go and return it.

With HP and Compaq it isn't a problem anymore. They went to the ATX standard. Some of their cases are inverted ATX which is kinda neat.

With HP and Compaq it isn't a problem anymore. They went to the ATX standard. Some of their cases are inverted ATX which is kinda neat.

Oh, but for a example if you change the hard drive on one the computer will not start. At least with dell, I had this problem. I fried my motherboard with gateway, and gateway mounts their mobo on the other side so it is nearly inmpossible to get a replacement.

Back
Top Bottom