game problems

tha17

Baseband Member
ok when i first built my comp i had a big problem with crashing to the desktop ..no error msg.

i got a bigger PSU and that fixed the problem.

but now i am crashing again and i noticed that my GPU temperature is 67 celcius...is that too high?
this is what it says on PC wizard:

Processor Fan : 1068 rpm
Chassis Fan : 10 rpm
Power/Aux Fan : 10 rpm
Processor Temperature : 37 °C
Processor Temperature (Core 1) : 45 °C
Processor Temperature (Core 2) : 42 °C
Mainboard Temperature : 45 °C
:
Video Monitoring : nVidia Driver + Thermal Diode
GPU Temperature : 63 °C
GPU Diode : 62.1 °C
GPU Fan : 100%
:
Hard Disk Monitoring : S.M.A.R.T
Hard Disk Temperature ST3250820AS : 41 °C

and these are my computer stats:

Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6420 @ 2.13GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Hard Drive: 250 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio output
Speakers/Headphones: headphones
Keyboard: USB Root Hub
Mouse: USB Root Hub
Mouse Surface: ...table
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)

any reasons why i would be crashing to the desktop again would be great...i usually only crash when my computer was on for a while then i go play bf2.

if i restart i havent crashed YET.

Is that GPU temp with your computer at Idle?

If so then yes it is pretty hot.

Here are some suggestions

1. Rearrange the cables in the case. So they are out of the case fans airflow path.
2. Have a spare case fan blowing over the cards "fan side" from back to front.

Get this pci fan.
Have got good feedback from people with hot running 8800 video cards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835200019

But exsperiment some with the placement of this fan, til you find the sweet spot.

As a last resort. Get this vga cooler, and video memory cooler for your 8800GTS.

http://www.sharkacomputers.com/zalmanvf1000.html

http://www.sharkacomputers.com/zalmanrhs88.html

For the crashing make sure you're graphics driver is updated as well as your bios.

The 8800GTS with reference cooler vents into the case via the cooler cover, it could in fact be that your whole case is overheating.

Your m/board temp is high, and your core temps are raised which would tend to suit my theory.

Your report says 10rpm for chasis fan, this is probably because you do not have one connected to the header but I have to ask, what case fans do you have and which way are they set up? e.g. front and side inlet, rear and top outlet.

What I did for my GTS was to make a cardboard shroud that directed the vented hot air from the case via the empty pci expansion slot covers in the rear of the case.

i got 1 big fan in the back. thats it for the case. then of course i got PSU fan CPU fan and there is a little fan on my video card.

the big fan in the back is on HIGH. (it has a switch for high, medium, and low.)

i DID have a air guider i guess that fit inside my case and directed the air that the CPU gave out. but i took that out. i guess i should put it back in uh...:\

i would love not to worry about it and just buy a bunch of cooling crap. please list more :D like netbooger. good job ;)

EDIT: netbooger the first link dont work btw...

:eek:

I don't think that one case fan is healthy for a modern system with those specifications. Correct me if I'm wrong.

yeah agreed with canucks.

im running 3 fans (2 stock case fans & one i put in) and im running at 27 - 30 C depends if i have my A/C on LOLz, but the issues to crashing, is fully in the fact ur overheating ur pc.

try and move crap away from the fan vents. and put another fan in. CASE MODS FTW, if uve got the extra $$ go with a water cooling system, but be warned, do a lot of research into those

so what are some good cheep cooling fans. should i get one for my case? or should i get one for my video card?

i hate the idea that my computer is overheating.

The whole point of my reply was to get an idea of your case cooling setup and it appears it may be a contributing factor with only
1 big fan in the back
which I will assume is a 120mm fan. Although on "high" setting it doesn't mean much if the max CFM (cubic feet per minute) of air moved is low volume, what is the fan brand and model number? (if in fact you can find that detail)

Additional exhaust fans would be advantageous without a doubt but
Also, how many fans can it support?
is a very valid point, if you have no place to mount any further fans then you may need to look at using a higher CFM model

Also removing the cause is another option, the cardboard shroud I have taped to my card (though rather "ghetto") was easy to make and is a real bonus when trying to reduce case temps because it vents the hot air outside the case so half the battle has been fought before you even look at additional fans.

Before you bother with any of this try a little experiment, remove the case side panel, set a desk fan (or similar) to blow directly into the case and run a game that was previously crashing, if it fails to crash then you will have identified heat as the cause, if it continues to crash the cause probably lies elsewhere.

:)

EDIT: What is your cpu temp under full load??

Also, just curious, as CTD in games can be hot hardware but also can be game code and BF2 was prone to it in the early days, are you running any mods? is BF2 all patched up? Does this happen with just BF2 or all games?

Back
Top Bottom