Wireless Setup - N vs. G

So a friend of mine wants to set up a wireless at her house, I said I could do it for her. So today she called and I talked to her to see what she wanted done. We came up with 2 options:

1) We buy 2 wireless adapters:

- 1 for laptop [g]
- 1 for computer [g]

Then we'd buy a wireless router with support for 'g' and put it in the center of her house to get better signal everywhere. She wants the best signal possible.

OR

2) We buy a wireless adapter 'n' for her laptop and we buy a wireless router with support for 'n'. We'd set this up where her computer is, so it would stay wired.

Now, I have been out of the wireless news for a while. I just know that 'n' is supposed to have greater range than 'g'. So some of my questions are:

-Which set-up would be more effective?
-Is 'n' worth the price?
-Can you recommend me some good equipment for the selected set up?

She thought she'd be spending $500, I laughed at that. I told her with $200 she could get some pretty good routers and adapters. She was quite happy about that. All the routers I have worked with have been NETGEAR and they're all pretty good quality. So I would prefer to go with that. We will be ordering from newegg.

My wireless N router from D-Link was $60 at Office Max a few months ago. Consider that most of the wireless G routers go for $40-50 you might as well spend the extra 10 bucks and get the N. I don't know the difference in the adaptors, but I assume the price difference is somewhat marginal (you could definitely do it for under $200 I would guess).

Here's the router I picked up:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127241

I did this because my old linksys was not letting me and my roomie on x-box live at the same time due to some nat issues. This one didn't have the same problem at all and I didn't need to forward the ports like on the linksys.

Wireless N can deliver data transfer rates in excess of up to 540Mbps in 2.4GHz or 5.0GHz bands. The distance is about 50 meters.

Wireless G can deliver data transfer rates in excess of up to 54Mbps in the 2.4GHz band. Distance is about 150 feet.

So yes N is much faster and is the newest technology but I don't believe that it has been made a standard yet which means is still could change.

Wait. Does 5GHz bands mean a stronger signal? The distance is the same as 150ft is roughly 50 meters.

Another question. My brother's and my dad's laptop have a (separately bought) Netgear adapter that connects at speeds up to 240Mbps. Does this make it 'g' or 'n'? I'm pretty sure my router at home is 'g' so I don't see how it could be 'n', but then again how do you explain the faster speed?

Cheapest thing would be to buy a wireless N for the range and just use the wireless G adapter that's built into the laptop.

I just got this to use as a switch/accesspoint in addition to my old d-link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124284 It gives a better signal to my Wii that's in my basement from my bedroom on the second floor, than the D-link (also wireless G) does from the main floor.

But if you just go wireless N for the router and leave everything else as is, Any Wireless N (I'm going to prefer Linksys again) would work. I have set up this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124081 and it couldn't have been easier. Then again, all Linksys routers are a pretty easy install.

The 108Mbps is the signal rate not the thruogh put. But it does make it a 'g' but it is actually a 'super g'. This means that it is outside of the IEEE standard and is using proprietary equipment to boost the signal rate.

Well, I just said netgear because that's all I've ever used. If you recommend Linksys I can get that for her.

edit: I like that Linksys. I'll really have to talk to her about it. I mean, it's not going to be worth it if she doesn't get the 'N' adapters.

Well, I just said netgear because that's all I've ever used. If you recommend Linksys I can get that for her.

edit: I like that Linksys. I'll really have to talk to her about it. I mean, it's not going to be worth it if she doesn't get the 'N' adapters.

Not nessicerily. It covers the range of the entire house, and you won't need to buy anything else for her to use it. That way you won't need to buy a Wireless G adapter for the desktop and when price comes down more she can consider adding the N adapter to the lappy. If she's just using it for the net then she wouldn't need the speed of a N adapter anyways.

I would say go with a N capable router, because if anything it gives her the option to upgrade in the future.

I don't own that one but I own the gaming version of that one and it works great for me.

Back
Top Bottom