SATA to SATA II

Scythe1

Baseband Member
I need help. I was trying to install my old Serial ATA HDD from my old computer (since it was 250GB and it contained plenty of media files) to the one I have currently which runs OS Vista. And I realized now that it used the new SATAII settings with all these different wires.

I bought this "SATA-to-Parallel Device Bridge/Adapter" by SYBA from Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822998008

Thats the link. I just got it in mail today and I was wondering if I could actually use my ATA 100/133 HDD on my current computer and I'd like to know how.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Thanks! I'd appreciate a reply.:)

I think there is only one type of SATA. so its either Sata or Pata.
PATA uses them IDE cable, and SATA uses the small cord.
the link you post i think is for the people that dont have any SATA port on their motherboard.
You use that thing and connect it to the IDE port on the motherboard, so you can use a SATA HDD.
unless i am talking about the wrong thing, if i am can you post some pictures of the ports?

Are you trying to use an IDE drive or a SATA 1.5Gb/s drive on the new board?

SATA 1.5Gb/s drive should work fine on the newer SATA 3.0Gb/s as they are fully backwards compatible.

With that adapter, you just plug one end into your IDE drive and then connect the SATA cable and power connector, boot your computer, and it should recognize the drive at start up.

Well I got these three quick pics from my phone camera (pretty crappy)

IMG00100-1.jpg

That one is the side shot from the Vista based computer

IMG00104.jpg

IMG00106.jpg

The old one is a PATA 133 HDD from Maxtor, something I bought about 3 years ago.

OK. Looks like you have that adapter installed correctly. Now you need to connect the SATA and power cables and fire it up!

From the looks of the first pic, you can use that floppy power plug to connect to the adapter. Read the instructions to see of you need to connect the molex power plug to the drive.

Their "quick install guide".
A) How do you connect the converter?
1) You need to connect the converter to IDE device.
2) You need to connect the power to IDE device.
3) You need to connect the 4pin power to the converter.
4) You need to connect the SATA cable to the motherboard.
5) You need to set the IDE device jumper to Master.

yeah, it looks like the HDD is an IDE, which i think its a PATA.
so i guess you are trying to convert the IDE HDD to sata?
isnt it better to connect that HDD to an regular IDE slot?
you could use the IDE HDD if you had the slot, some mobos has them some dont, but most should have them.
The thing on newegg is so you plug it the way its like, and use a normal molex cable for power, and use a sata cable to connect to the mobo.
I dont see how it shouldnt work,

Hold on, when you said "Connect power to IDE device", I don't think thats possible since it uses the 4 Pin method.

Nvm, the product game me the wrong power conversion, everything besides the HDD itself is working fine since it doesn't have power, so I guess I'll have to wait for the wire to arrive. Thanks anyways, max kudos!

I think there is only one type of SATA. so its either Sata or Pata.

There's 1.5 SATA and 3.0 SATA (commonly referred to as SATA II) PATA is Parallel ATA (commonly known as IDE)

Hold on, when you said "Connect power to IDE device", I don't think thats possible since it uses the 4 Pin method.

Nvm, the product game me the wrong power conversion, everything besides the HDD itself is working fine since it doesn't have power, so I guess I'll have to wait for the wire to arrive. Thanks anyways, max kudos!

He means connect the hard drive itself with the 4 pin molex connector to power the hard drive. Use the floppy power connection type to power the converter board. So ... power to both places in order for your convertor and IDE hard drive to function.

I already got the converter powered up but about the IDE HDD, it uses the 4 pin molex connector and I don't have that kind coming from my power supply.

SATA-POWER.jpg

The IDE one uses the white type of power connector, but my power supply only has the black kind.

Back
Top Bottom