Steam requires Defrag?

Kage

Golden Master
Hmm, I decided to play Team Fortress 2 randomly. I haven't opened Steam in a while, and its now performing a defrag?
I hope its just on the Steam files, but... my computer should be defragged anyway. Its not long ago that I ran it. I just hope it doesn't mess up my machine.

no. steam is stupid enough to require a defrag of your steam game files, so it does it for you. useless really.

Haha, well it did the defrag, and I selected to run the game. It updated, started, said it was loading, and hung there, and didn't move. I had to reset too...

Thanks, haha.
The same thing happened a while back when I tried to quit Portal after playing (it happened a few times). If I pressed to Exit, the system hung.
I found the only way to exit from then on was to use Alt-F4 :|

The TF2 content alone is 2.8 gigs, but thats not including the source 2007 shared files which brings it up to over 6 1/2.

ive never noticed that steam defrags. i use O&O, one of the best de-fragmentation programs you can "buy" :p. it runs as my screensaver every 10 minutes, so my computer is always optimized and it makes a huge difference. since it runs every 10 minutes it only moves like 20 files, but it still keeps everything in tip top shape.

Back
Top Bottom