Won't display on monitor, monitor fine.

arrsebandit

Beta member
My computer has recently stopped displaying anything on the monitor, naturally i thought this was a connection problem and played around with the cable to no avail. I then tested the monitor with my laptop (using now) and it brought the picture up fine.
Everything pointed to the grpahics card so I ordered a new one (Cheap, GeForce 6200 512mb AGP). After installing tha today i still no result and I am completely lost with where to begin now.
There are no obvious problems that i can think of, and if anyone has experienced this before or has an idea that could solve this it would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Bandit

My computer has recently stopped displaying anything on the monitor, naturally i thought this was a connection problem and played around with the cable to no avail. I then tested the monitor with my laptop (using now) and it brought the picture up fine.
Everything pointed to the grpahics card so I ordered a new one (Cheap, GeForce 6200 512mb AGP). After installing tha today i still no result and I am completely lost with where to begin now.
There are no obvious problems that i can think of, and if anyone has experienced this before or has an idea that could solve this it would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Bandit

First of all welcome to Computer Forums,i think you problem is maybe your new one does not like the computer. Check on your computer's company website.

What exactly was wrong with your old graphics card? Did you check to see if all your components are secure?

First of all welcome to Computer Forums,i think you problem is maybe your new one does not like the computer. Check on your computer's company website.

Please ignore this person's response.

No. Just no.

Try reseating RAM. If that doesn't work, try new RAM.

Do you get anything on the disply at all? If you can get to the bios check that the primary display is either pci-e or agp as the case may be. If it has an onboard vid connection enable it and check that.
It's odd that two cards do the same thing unless something in the slot is not working or has been disabled in the bios.
Or could be the motherboard took a dump.

Thanks for all your responses.

I'll just elaborate on the problem and how it arose.
I switched my computer on and I got the standard boot-up sequence then all of a sudden the monitor didn't want to display anything even though my computer was making all the noises it should be.
My monitor has a standby mode where when nothing is being sent to it, I get a little amber light. When it is receiving stuff this light goes green. Ever since I've got this problem it has stayed amber and displayed anything.
"Ahh, the monitor methinks" says I. As I said I plugged the monitor with the same cable into my laptop and it worked fine and as expected.
There is nothing visibly wrong with my old graphics card but I've had it over 2 years now and I thought perhaps it had blown a capacitor/any random component. It was all I could think off and am still confused at what the problem is.

My new card is definitely compatible, like my old card it's AGP. I have 2 sticks of 512mb ram that I wouldn't expect to be the problem due to there being 2 sticks but I took them out and reset them anyway. Again no result.

Again any thoughts in how to resolve this would be appreciated
Many thanks

Bandit

So you can't even get to the point of being able to log into your comp?

Did you update your graphic card drivers recently by any chance (if so it could be a bad driver, and if not then you might need to), and can you boot into safe mode without your monitor going blank?

Back
Top Bottom