Need Help Building

mgbl3

Solid State Member
This is my first time building, so please forgive any stupid questions. I've spent some time researching and started off with the 1000-1500, non-overlock template in the stickied thread. I want a solid build and will use it for numerous things, including gaming. Here's where I'm at so far:

CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
Motherboard ASUS P5E LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard
Memory Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
HDD SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 750GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Case Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Disk Drive SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R
PSU XIGMATEK MC NRP-MC651 ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V Ver. 2.92 650W Power Supply
GPU 2 X SAPPHIRE 100242L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

Total after rebates: 1143.92

The few things I changed from the actual thread were:

CPU - Upgraded to E8500 3.16Ghz, only 10 dolla more.
Case - Liked the look better. Will it hold everything still?

The original post is a couple months old so I wanted to make sure everything is still up-to-date. I know absolutely nothing about motherboards, so you guys tell me if thats a solid choice. I have a couple hundred more I could use, but are there any upgrades worth the money? Also, do I need a sound card? What about, say, a network card? I've got a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and can purchase Vista cheap through the university I go to. Is there anything else I need?

Thanks for the help!

Looks nice, have fun with the 4850s, they're awesome.

Really nice deal on the E8500, I've never seen them that cheap.

And I won't get started on the Antec 900, I hate that case with a passion. But that's just my opinion. ;) I would just say that the 900 is only a mid tower case, and would be a bit small for a CF setup, but as long as you're not going to be producing loads of heat by OC'ing, it should be fine.

I really don't know anything that would be worth it and would improve the build adequately. You could go 2xHD 4870s, what resolution would you be running? Only at 2560x1600 would the 4850s perhaps start to run out of steam. But even at that res I think they'd still be more than fast enough.

I think you should just save your $200 for a rainy day.

Looks nice, have fun with the 4850s, they're awesome.

Really nice deal on the E8500, I've never seen them that cheap.

And I won't get started on the Antec 900, I hate that case with a passion. But that's just my opinion. ;) I would just say that the 900 is only a mid tower case, and would be a bit small for a CF setup, but as long as you're not going to be producing loads of heat by OC'ing, it should be fine.

I really don't know anything that would be worth it and would improve the build adequately. You could go 2xHD 4870s, what resolution would you be running? Only at 2560x1600 would the 4850s perhaps start to run out of steam. But even at that res I think they'd still be more than fast enough.

I think you should just save your $200 for a rainy day.

:D :D :D ...

it's on sale for $40 off too, you may see multiple threads about that case soon, hell, $80...? I may get one...

Aye, the 40$ rebate was what made me pick it. Is there any reason in particular you don't like it? Or any good alternatives?

And no I won't be messing with OC'ing. The reason I'm buying this comp is because of overheating issues with my laptop. I never wanna have to deal with that again.

Also is the motherboard DDR3 compatible? I know it isn't worth it yet but I figure someday the upgrade may be needed. Sorry lol, like I said I dont know anything about mobos.

No, the motherboard is not DDR3 compatible. The only way you will find both is a motherboard that has 2 DDR2 and 2 DDR3 slots.

Aye, the 40$ rebate was what made me pick it. Is there any reason in particular you don't like it? Or any good alternatives?

And no I won't be messing with OC'ing. The reason I'm buying this comp is because of overheating issues with my laptop. I never wanna have to deal with that again.

Also is the motherboard DDR3 compatible? I know it isn't worth it yet but I figure someday the upgrade may be needed. Sorry lol, like I said I dont know anything about mobos.

no, but here are some boards that support DDR2 and DDR3, and surprisingly, they're not that expensive, actually, they're all cheaper than the one you selected...

DDR2 and DDR3 motherboards

Thanks for the help guys. Couple more Q's:

I think I'll just stick with this mobo as there weren't any compelling options with two PCIe 2x16 slots. One think tho is that under the specs it has listed "Memory Standard DDR2 1200". Does this mean the memory I had selected (DDR2 800) won't work with it? Do I need DDR2 1200?

Although the harddrive is 10000 RPM it's 1.5 Gb/s. Is it better to go with a 7200 RPM with 3 Gb/s?

Lastly the video card says it has memory type GDDR3. Does it matter than the mobo doesn't support DDR3?

I think I'll just stick with this mobo as there weren't any compelling options with two PCIe 2x16 slots. One think tho is that under the specs it has listed "Memory Standard DDR2 1200". Does this mean the memory I had selected (DDR2 800) won't work with it? Do I need DDR2 1200?
The P5E supports 16x + 16x PCI-E 2.0 Crossfire.
And DDR 1200 means that's the max memory ASUS recommend for the board. DDR 800 will work fine.
Although the harddrive is 10000 RPM it's 1.5 Gb/s. Is it better to go with a 7200 RPM with 3 Gb/s?
It will be slightly slower, but you should take a look at the Samsung Spinpoint F1 series. They're almost as fast as the Raptors, but you'll get a much larger capacity, a quieter and cheaper drive.
Lastly the video card says it has memory type GDDR3. Does it matter than the mobo doesn't support DDR3?
Will work fine.

The P5E supports 16x + 16x PCI-E 2.0 Crossfire.
And DDR 1200 means that's the max memory ASUS recommend for the board. DDR 800 will work fine.

It will be slightly slower, but you should take a look at the Samsung Spinpoint F1 series. They're almost as fast as the Raptors, but you'll get a much larger capacity, a quieter and cheaper drive.

Will work fine.

Thanks for the help. The only thing with the HDD is I've got two externals sitting next to me, both 1TB each, so space is the last thing I need.

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 750GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

^is nice, fast and cheap. However it is 750GB's worth that I dont really need. Is there any smaller, faster drive for that cheap? Or is that the fastest I'll get, regardless of size?

That's the fastest drive before the Raptors, there isn't really anything of smaller capacity that can compare with it...

So you could have a slightly faster 150GB noisy Raptor, or a 750GB marginally slower but much quieter F1. Your call :p

Back
Top Bottom