Do you know what really irritates me? Kage's version

Kage

Golden Master
People that use the phrase "You know what I mean?"

Its bad when its used the once, but when one person uses it constantly after a sentence that would require a response, argh.

I thought I'd make a thread about it, since one is already up and I didn't want to put this into the other.

It started to annoy me when my mates girlfriend used it constantly in a phone conversation.

Since then, (were talking months now), my brains latched onto the term everytime someone says it, and its become an annoyance. I actually start to hate the people using the phrase, haha.

The amount of times I've just walked past someone on the street, and 1 in every 20 times, its someone saying "you know what I mean?" to the person beside them, or worse, someone with a bluetooth phone.

At work, I heard this girl while I was working, using the phrase at least 30 times in 5 minutes.

I use it a lot to see if the person understood what I said lol. Sometimes simple things come out in a very complicated wording.

Yeah, I don't mind it I guess every so often (though it still gets to me), but a person that uses it every 3 or so sentences. That definietly does.

I don't know why after hearing my mates girlfriend saying it tonnes, its made me hate the phrase, but it has.

My brains great at seeing patterns, and, I just can't help noticing it, everytime, like someones hitting me on the head with a sack of potatoes or something.

My grandma has a thing for saying "thing" and "business"

But my pet peeve (I guess that's what it's called) is "You know" and "like". I say "like" a lot, but it bugs me lol. Trying to stop.

I figured the reason for such terms is the lack of vocabulary and the lack of putting thought to what you say.

How about when people make rant threads after a thread created specifically for rants was just made, You know what I mean? I could care less about these threads. ;)

I think any phrase that is used 30 times in just a few minutes would become annoying. I admit that I am guilty of saying "You know what I mean?" I don't say it a lot but I use it for what it should be used for; making sure the person you are talking to is on the same page as you are. Sometimes people just nod along and don't let you know that you've lost them somewhere. Either way, I still think it's better than "Y'know what I'm sayin'".

I absolutely hate people referring to each other as "mate", especially when someone calls me that.

I've said it before but I can't be arsed dredging up the thread it was in.

My grandma has a thing for saying "thing" and "business"

But my pet peeve (I guess that's what it's called) is "You know" and "like". I say "like" a lot, but it bugs me lol. Trying to stop.

I figured the reason for such terms is the lack of vocabulary and the lack of putting thought to what you say.

Actually they are called fillers and are perfectly natural and have nothing to do with a lack of vocabulary. Every country and language have their own fillers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filler_(linguistics)

Also, individuals have their own word and grammar pattern when they speak, this is called an idiolect:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiolect

Thank my English Language A-Level course for those gems :p

And you also get some really annoying speech habits some people have.

I know someone who somehow manages to shoehorn "to be quite honest" into almost every single sentence, and somebody else who discusses stuff without always specifying what it is. She might say "Where's the what-do-you-call-it/thingy"... what's "thingy", I reply. It's completely counterproductive. Please think of what you're actually trying to ask for before asking for it.

Back
Top Bottom