Do you know what really irritates me?

now im :confused:
is lac3y now saying its ok to say i could care less?

under the proper context, yes, but when you're saying it to express your complete lack of interest in a subject then it doesn't make sense.

also, see Joga's posts.

now im :confused:
is lac3y now saying its ok to say i could care less?

When it is used in its proper context then it makes sense, but it still is very unclear and redundant because you have no idea to what degree they care.

However, when most people use "I could care less" what they actually mean is "I couldn't care less", which means they are saying the exact opposite of what they want to say.

Another example of this is the "word" irregardless (another American word lol). When people say "irregardless" they mean "regardless". Somehow the prefix "ir" was added (which means "not") and so cancels out the suffix "less" (which means "without") and so the word ends up being a double negative, or "not without regard". Thus, the word means the exact opposite of what people use it for.

Most dictionaries list it as incorrect or non-standard but it is still commonly used in certain parts of America.

Another example of this is the "word" irregardless (another American word lol).
Hey now don't be "dissin'" America/ns :p We have many more people than GB to be ignorant with their speech. For all we know, GB may have a higher ratio of this issue, just less seen because there are less of you o_O

By the way, I say that in America we don't speak English, but American lol.

Hey now don't be "dissin'" America/ns :p We have many more people than GB to be ignorant with their speech. For all we know, GB may have a higher ratio of this issue, just less seen because there are less of you o_O

By the way, I say that in America we don't speak English, but American lol.

haha believe me there are tons of people in Britain who can hardly speak English.

haha believe me there are tons of people in Britain who can hardly speak English.
:p Yea many of the people in our (american) society make me sad...Seems that they forgot how to speak the language. Then, there are the Mexicans who never learned, who deserve to be kicked out of our country. However, that is for another thread :p.

When it is used in its proper context then it makes sense, but it still is very unclear and redundant because you have no idea to what degree they care.

However, when most people use "I could care less" what they actually mean is "I couldn't care less", which means they are saying the exact opposite of what they want to say.

Another example of this is the "word" irregardless (another American word lol). When people say "irregardless" they mean "regardless". Somehow the prefix "ir" was added (which means "not") and so cancels out the suffix "less" (which means "without") and so the word ends up being a double negative, or "not without regard". Thus, the word means the exact opposite of what people use it for.

Most dictionaries list it as incorrect or non-standard but it is still commonly used in certain parts of America.

thanks for clearing it all up for me :)

well actually guys, it works both ways.

if A told B, "Yesterday, i went to the park," and if B responded, "I could care less," B could actually be using it improperly, OR he could be saying that he is listening to A at the moment, but has the ability to care less about the topic since it is of no concern to B."

in a way, saying "I could care less" is a more ambiguous way of saying "I couldn't care less."

Back
Top Bottom