Reinstallation of OS. Partition help.

Captain Pooka

Daemon Poster
Alright, so I reinstalled widows.. and it's working great. It's fast and such..

Only one problem, I have alot of stuff on my other partition.. it doesn't show up in "All Programs" or "Add/remove Programs".. I remember doing this along time ago and this happened. I never fixed it I don't think.. I think I got a bigger hdd.

Anyways, How do you fix this? Or can you?:eek:

By "stuff" are you referring to data, files stored on another partition or did you make the mistake of custom installing all your games and apps onto a second partition instead of the primary?

If you did... oops! you would now need to see everything reinstalled all over again. It sounds that way with your mention of the Programs and Add/Remove.

Yeah, when you formatted all the registry entries are gone. You are going to have to reinstall them. Some of them may work if you go click on the .exe, but some software relies on those reg entries and will have to be either reinstalled or manually readd those entries (not recommended at all!).

Yeah, everything works... I tried that right away. It's just not on all programs. UT3, WoW, Ultima, DreamWeaver, WS_FTP.. all that good stuff.. Civilization. whatever...

I just put all of the exe s in the quicklaunch bar. So there is no way for me to fix this? :(

You can reinstall your programs, that would be the easiest way. At least you should still have all your saved games and stuff.

The only thing that would have a saved game that I play would be Zero Hour (c&c) but I don't really care about those... and maybe civilization.. don't care about that. Is there a hard way? :D I'm not reinstalling everything... lol. WoW takes years...

Thanks anyway..

How do I uninstall things? Off of my old partition...

Once you reinstalled Windows and now have a fresh registry you simply have to track down each program folder for manual deletion. You no longer have the option to use the add/remove in XP or Programs+Features now seen in Vista.

With dual booting here and having replaced ide drives with sata models I first backed up gave saves along with other files to folder designated for storage on a different partition/drive then simply reformatted or wiped the partition entirely to see a new one.

Your option there is to simply browse that partition and remove the software folders manually. If a repair install in XP had been performed rather then a full reinstall your games would still have been left intact since that repairs Windows itself and leaves the rest in working order.

That's probably due to having a main "exe" file where you can simply create a another desktop shortcut for each. Those are more or less self contained folders without other information and drivers found in the Windows sub directories and in application data folder under your user account.

A number of games if that's all you are referring to run with the disk in the optical drive and only place a limited amount of files on the hard drive to start with. With other softwares you won't see those results but need a full reinstall for each there.

Back
Top Bottom