Is This Rig Good for GAMING?

Let's take a look at the facts real quick. The guy has a ton of money to spend, and he wants the BEST. So let's give him the best. The best, as of august, will be HD4870x2 (He can get 2 and crossfire if he wants), an E3110, 4GB of RAM, and Vista. That's all there is to it. He wants the best, he's got the money, so let's not argue about best bang for the buck because he doesn't seem to care about that (no offense).

Exactly.

G.skill, OCZ, Crucial are good Ram brands. Also, if you want the "BEST" rig your money can buy, wait for the 4870x2 to come out. If you can't wait, get the 4870 and Xfire them.

Let's take a look at the facts real quick. The guy has a ton of money to spend, and he wants the BEST. So let's give him the best. The best, as of august, will be HD4870x2 (He can get 2 and crossfire if he wants), an E3110, 4GB of RAM, and Vista. That's all there is to it. He wants the best, he's got the money, so let's not argue about best bang for the buck because he doesn't seem to care about that (no offense).

um, the E3110 isn't the best money can buy and neither is his motherboard, he needs to be more specific with what he wants, if money is no object, he would probably want to start with getting a different motherboard...

ASUS P5E3 PREMIUM/WIFI-AP

Case... NZXT Khaos Series CS-NT-LEXA-BLB Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case

processor... Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 Yorkfield 3.2GHz 12MB L2 Cache

RAM... OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)

HDDs... Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive x2

sound... Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty

if I was gonna build a computer and money was no object, that's where I'd start, about $3,500...

um, the E3110 isn't the best money can buy

Yeah, that was my mistake lol. I recommend it too much. I personally don't have it but I've seen lots of people with it and it's AMAZING for the cost. Specially when OCed.

@OP If you can hold out till early of next year get the Nehalems =p

Yeah, that was my mistake lol. I recommend it too much. I personally don't have it but I've seen lots of people with it and it's AMAZING for the cost. Specially when OCed.

@OP If you can hold out till early of next year get the Nehalems =p

but you shot down my same argument for the 4850...? weird...

I was just stopping the argument. Also you highlight part of my quote. That's not the reason I recommended him the CPU, that's the reason of why I recommend the CPU so much. The reason I recommended him the CPU is because I recommend it so much so I just said it automatically. I hope you understand what I just said, I don't mean to offend, but it sounds confusing. I have nothing against the HD4850. I plan on getting one at the end of the year =p

I think you're confused, the HD4870X2 is a single card, you don't have to change your motherboard selection, Xfire is not needed, I could run it on my motherboard if I wanted to pay that much for a single
But if he has the chance to swap an Nvidia board for a P45, then he should do it without a second thought.
G.skill, OCZ, Crucial are good Ram brands. Also, if you want the "BEST" rig your money can buy, wait for the 4870x2 to come out. If you can't wait, get the 4870 and Xfire them.
Like I said previously, you can't just say one brand is good and one brand is bad. It depends on what goes onto the sticks. For example, G. Skill make some memory with the Micron D9GKX modules, but they also make some with the POS ProMOS modules. @ OP, use this list: http://ramlist.infinityx.nl/ddr2/
Mr.Worshipme can you recommend a good RAM??? i really don't know what to look for... and this thing about "Modules", just makes me more confused...
what i want though is a 4gb DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 MHz memory...
Here you go: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231148 Some of these have the Powerchip modules, which are very good.

And lastly, for anyone wondering, here is a definitive conclusion to how much faster the HD 4870 is compared to the HD 4850:

So, i went and bought myself a new rig...

here's the specs...

Motherboard- instead of buying a P45 i bought a x48 for future crossfiring.
GPU- I'm going to wait for the new HD4870x2 R700
CPU- Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9770... though some people told me to buy a duo instead, i still think that investing on a quad for future generation games is still a better step to take.
HDD- Hitachi 750GB S-ata2 7200RPM HDD
MEMORY- 4GB 240-PIN PC2-5300 CL5 18c 2x256x4 Registered ECC DDR2-667 DIMM VLP MICRON MODULE

I think i'm going to be a PRO-Intel/AMD fan from now on... I just want August 12 to come faster so i can buy that damned HD4870x2 R700... Till then, I'll be keeping my computer parts in storage... I still have to find a decent computer casing with cooling capabilities... a good PSU... some LCDs and other auxiliary
parts... thanks for the suggestions guys ^^ it really helped me A LOT.

So, i went and bought myself a new rig...

here's the specs...

Motherboard- instead of buying a P45 i bought a x48 for future crossfiring.
GPU- I'm going to wait for the new HD4870x2 R700
CPU- Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9770... though some people told me to buy a duo instead, i still think that investing on a quad for future generation games is still a better step to take.
HDD- Hitachi 750GB S-ata2 7200RPM HDD
MEMORY- 4GB 240-PIN PC2-5300 CL5 18c 2x256x4 Registered ECC DDR2-667 DIMM VLP MICRON MODULE

I think i'm going to be a PRO-Intel/AMD fan from now on... I just want August 12 to come faster so i can buy that damned HD4870x2 R700... Till then, I'll be keeping my computer parts in storage... I still have to find a decent computer casing with cooling capabilities... a good PSU... some LCDs and other auxiliary
parts... thanks for the suggestions guys ^^ it really helped me A LOT.

looks good dude, but step up that memory, with the killer system that you'll have, you'll want way higher speeds than that, try at least PC2 6400...

guys can you recommend a good LCD screen??? my girlfriend told me not to buy a big one cos it doesn't bode well with the "design" of our bedroom... -.-''
so, yah... pls give me a good quality LCD.. i want the pictures to really pop out when i'm playing games...

looks good dude, but step up that memory, with the killer system that you'll have, you'll want way higher speeds than that, try at least PC2 6400...

yah... i'm having problems about which memory is best for this rig... i guess i'll check other brands and explore more... i'll be buying a new memory next month after paying for the car >.< hahaha

BTW is PC2 6400 the highest memory out there???

But if he has the chance to swap an Nvidia board for a P45, then he should do it without a second thought.

Like I said previously, you can't just say one brand is good and one brand is bad. It depends on what goes onto the sticks. For example, G. Skill make some memory with the Micron D9GKX modules, but they also make some with the POS ProMOS modules. @ OP, use this list: http://ramlist.infinityx.nl/ddr2/

Here you go: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231148 Some of these have the Powerchip modules, which are very good.

And lastly, for anyone wondering, here is a definitive conclusion to how much faster the HD 4870 is compared to the HD 4850:

those are some newer benches (or at least ones I haven't seen), do you have a link...? I like to save them in my benches folder...

I still stand by my point, roughly 25% better performance for almost twice the price, I'll keep my 4850 (please be here Monday, please, please...) and overclock it...

:p :p :p

Back
Top Bottom