Is This Rig Good for GAMING?

@ the original post

honestly, unless you're playing at 3840x2160 or some crazy (a-bomb) resolution, (f-word) the GTX280, and if you're just gaming, (f-word) the quad. you're spending WAY too much money on a gaming machine. its not 1992 anymore, PC's don't and shouldn't cost that much anymore, even gaming machines.

@ the original post

honestly, unless you're playing at 3840x2160 or some crazy (a-bomb) resolution, (f-word) the GTX280, and if you're just gaming, (f-word) the quad. you're spending WAY too much money on a gaming machine. its not 1992 anymore, PC's don't and shouldn't cost that much anymore, even gaming machines.

i want to play the new generation games such as crysis. i've been out of the computer rat race for 5 years now. so i wanna buy the BEST i can get with my money and i'm not settling for some run-of-the-mill about to be obsolete PC rig.

I agree with this. Going with the HD 4870 also means you won't need an Nvidia motherboard to do Crossfire, an X38 or a P45 is a far better chipset than the 680i.

It's not so much brands, but what modules are used. @ OP, you can use this site to see what RAM uses what modules: http://ramlist.infinityx.nl/ddr2/
Powerchip as well as the Micron modules are very good.
Pay attention to the timings as well. Lower is better.

As for the HDD, the best balance of price, performance and capacity comes from the Samsung Spinpoint F1s, they are the fastest 7200RPM drives available and are considerably cheaper than the 10K Raptors.

I've read reviews about GEFORCE GTX 280 AMP and they say it's the most powerful GPU on the market...
and it beat the 9800X2, though only by a little.

Mr.Worshipme can you recommend a good RAM??? i really don't know what to look for... and this thing about "Modules", just makes me more confused...
what i want though is a 4gb DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 MHz memory...

thanks in advance ^^

dude, you have no clue. don't think a GTX280 is really any better than an HD4870X2. that, 4GB of ram, and a 1333mhz dual-core will be NO run-of-the-mill obs. pc rig, dude.

hey, you still not satisfied, get 8GB and Vista 64 then. Happy? the GTX280 is like 3-5fps better in SOME benchmarks (it fails the rest) than the HD4870X2, except it costs like at least $50 more, which is just stupid.

and a standard HD4870 would be like 80% the power of the HD4870x2, but like 60% the price. and honestly that'll still play everything on at least high at 1920x1080 at LEAST till early next year.

dude, you have no clue. don't think a GTX280 is really any better than an HD4870X2. that, 4GB of ram, and a 1333mhz dual-core will be NO run-of-the-mill obs. pc rig, dude.

hey, you still not satisfied, get 8GB and Vista 64 then. Happy? the GTX280 is like 3-5fps better in SOME benchmarks (it fails the rest) than the HD4870X2, except it costs like at least $50 more, which is just stupid.

and a standard HD4870 would be like 80% the power of the HD4870x2, but like 60% the price. and honestly that'll still play everything on at least high at 1920x1080 at LEAST till early next year.

can you please specify the difference between HD4870x2 and GTX280
if you don't mind, that is.

ok, HD4870x2 totally got me...
a 1 on 1 duel with GTX280... HD4870x2 will win...
but this means i have to change my motherboard...
i think i'm going for a P45 motherboard...

they say HD4870x2 will be out this coming august...
i guess i'll have to wait till then...

can you please specify the difference between HD4870x2 and GTX280
if you don't mind, that is.

ok, HD4870x2 totally got me...
a 1 on 1 duel with GTX280... HD4870x2 will win...
but this means i have to change my motherboard...
i think i'm going for a P45 motherboard...

I think you're confused, the HD4870X2 is a single card, you don't have to change your motherboard selection, Xfire is not needed, I could run it on my motherboard if I wanted to pay that much for a single video card that isn't really "that" much better...

the price to performance ratio for these high end cards (GTX 260 and 280, HD4870 and HD4870X2) is not very good and in fact overkill most of the time, for example I bought an HD4850 plus 2GBs DDR2 6400 for $160 shipped, the 4870 alone is almost $300, the GTX 260s and 280s are actually dropping in price below the 4870 to around $225-$250 (all these prices include MIRs, mail in rebates)...

so for twice the price, I could've gotten an HD4870 (without any DDR2), which wouldn't come close to giving me twice the performance, in fact, it only performs about 15% better, pretty much the same with the GTX 260 and 280 as well, not worth it IMO...

You've still got the option of buying 2 HD4870's and running them in crossfir mode (if you can't wait for the HD4870x2)

I think you're confused, the HD4870X2 is a single card, you don't have to change your motherboard selection, Xfire is not needed, I could run it on my motherboard if I wanted to pay that much for a single video card that isn't really "that" much better...

the price to performance ratio for these high end cards (GTX 260 and 280, HD4870 and HD4870X2) is not very good and in fact overkill most of the time, for example I bought an HD4850 plus 2GBs DDR2 6400 for $160 shipped, the 4870 alone is almost $300, the GTX 260s and 280s are actually dropping in price below the 4870 to around $225-$250 (all these prices include MIRs, mail in rebates)...

so for twice the price, I could've gotten an HD4870 (without any DDR2), which wouldn't come close to giving me twice the performance, in fact, it only performs about 15% better, pretty much the same with the GTX 260 and 280 as well, not worth it IMO...

I a pretty sure that DDR5 in 4870 is far superior to the DDR3 in 4850. Seeing that the person has more than enough money for building a top notch system, I would recommend the 4870.

i want to play the new generation games such as crysis. i've been out of the computer rat race for 5 years now. so i wanna buy the BEST i can get with my money and i'm not settling for some run-of-the-mill about to be obsolete PC rig.

I've read reviews about GEFORCE GTX 280 AMP and they say it's the most powerful GPU on the market...
and it beat the 9800X2, though only by a little.

Mr.Worshipme can you recommend a good RAM??? i really don't know what to look for... and this thing about "Modules", just makes me more confused...
what i want though is a 4gb DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 MHz memory...

thanks in advance ^^

G.skill, OCZ, Crucial are good Ram brands. Also, if you want the "BEST" rig your money can buy, wait for the 4870x2 to come out. If you can't wait, get the 4870 and Xfire them.

You've still got the option of buying 2 HD4870's and running them in crossfir mode (if you can't wait for the HD4870x2)

not with his motherboard, it's a SLi motherboard...

I a pretty sure that DDR5 in 4870 is far superior to the DDR3 in 4850. Seeing that the person has more than enough money for building a top notch system, I would recommend the 4870.

show me some benchmarks that show how "far" superior it is, I'll back up what I said with actual benchmarks and wait for you to do the same, the underlined cards are the ones I was thinking of getting, the 4870 isn't underlined because it wasn't worth it IMO, you are correct though, some people will pay twice as much for a 15% increase in performance, hell, some people bought the GTX280 when it first came out for upwards of $500...

benchie1.png

Let's take a look at the facts real quick. The guy has a ton of money to spend, and he wants the BEST. So let's give him the best. The best, as of august, will be HD4870x2 (He can get 2 and crossfire if he wants), an E3110, 4GB of RAM, and Vista. That's all there is to it. He wants the best, he's got the money, so let's not argue about best bang for the buck because he doesn't seem to care about that (no offense).

Back
Top Bottom